New poster saying hello

halfer

Hi all

First of all, let me say I am mightily impressed with the quality of Jasper Reports. I work for a UK Logistics firm and we're presently using Crystal Reports 9 and 10 for our reporting requirements (and we really don't like it). We intend to use the flat reporting of JasperServer and a colleague has been using the OLAP stuff in JasperAnalysis.

I've installed JasperServer 2.1.0.1 on a Windows Server together with iReport 2.0.5, and thought I'd list a few things we've achieved, so if anyone gets stuck, they can ping this thread asking for help (and it seems like the community could use an extra helper or two ;)).

I have:

* Installed the bundled MySQL server as a Windows service

* Installed a new copy of Apache Tomcat and copied the /jasperserver folder over, so that Tomcat runs as a Windows service

* Installed drivers for Oracle 10g

* Connected iReport to JasperServer using the bundled plugin

* Written a cross-tab report with 5 row variables and 3 column variables

[/ul]

Bear in mind I'm not an expert (or a Java programmer) but nevertheless after a bit of playing and some googling, we're getting there...

Post edited by: halfer, at: 2008/04/28 11:44

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

halfer
Wrote:

Hi all

First of all, let me say I am mightily impressed with the quality of Jasper Reports. I work for a UK Logistics firm and we're presently using Crystal Reports 9 and 10 for our reporting requirements (and we really don't like it). We intend to use the flat reporting of JasperServer and a colleague has been using the OLAP stuff in JasperAnalysis.

I've installed JasperServer 2.1.0.1 on a Windows Server together with iReport 2.0.5, and thought I'd list a few things we've achieved, so if anyone gets stuck, they can ping this thread asking for help (and it seems like the community could use an extra helper or two ;)).

I have:

• * Installed the bundled MySQL server as a Windows service
    * Installed a new copy of Apache Tomcat and copied the /jasperserver folder over, so that Tomcat runs as a Windows service
    * Installed drivers for Oracle 10g
    * Connected iReport to JasperServer using the bundled plugin
    * Written a cross-tab report with 5 row variables and 3 column variables
    [/ul]

Bear in mind I'm not an expert (or a Java programmer) but nevertheless after a bit of playing and some googling, we're getting there...
    Post edited by: halfer, at: 2008/04/28 11:44

Hi,

I hope you are monitoring this thread, or if not, that someone else be doing so...

>> * Installed the bundled MySQL server as a Windows service
>> * Installed a new copy of Apache Tomcat and copied the /jasperserver folder over, so that Tomcat runs as a Windows service

I am attempting to accomplish this, and have attained only partial success...  Tomcat runs, but apparently doesn't communicate with MySQL, among possibly other things.  I don't have MySQL running as a service yet, and have not yet found any documentation or script files to help out.

The bottom line is that I can run JasperServer using the allctl.bat file, but not yet as a service.  Could you (or anyone else) provide some assistance?

TIA,

René

UPDATE, 12 November 2008:  I did find documentation at MySQL's website how to set up a service for MySQL, and it is quite easy, so now my JasperServer web app is running.

Now, on to the next problem to solve, which is why is that I can define a JDBC data source for JasperServer running on my desktop, pointing to a SQL Server machine, but on the SQL Server machine itself, where I have set up Tomcat and MySQL as services, and JasperServer is now running, I am not able to connect to the local SQL Server upon performing a test of the data source...

Post Edited by René Valencourt at 11/12/08 20:51

Post Edited by PlexPro at 06/16/2009 16:08

Now, on to the next problem to solve, which is why is that I can define a JDBC data source for JasperServer running on my desktop, pointing to a SQL Server machine, but on the SQL Server machine itself, where I have set up Tomcat and MySQL as services, and JasperServer is now running, I am not able to connect to the local SQL Server upon performaing a test of the data source...

Any indication of the problem?

Did you put the SQL Server JDBC driver into the Tomcat instance on the SQL Server machine?

Sherman

Jaspersoft

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sherman,

Thanks for your response.  Sorry I haven't been back earlier to follow up on this.

>> Did you put the SQL Server JDBC driver into the Tomcat instance on the SQL Server machine?

I find sqljdbc.jar in C:\Program Files\JasperSoft\jasperserver-3.0\java\jre\lib\ext, and I added C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server 2005 JDBC Driver\sqljdbc_1.2\enu\sqljdbc.jar to CLASSPATH system environment variable.

I don't remember now which one was the key, but it is now working.  Thanks!

René

CTB, Inc.

swood
Wrote:

Now, on to the next problem to solve, which is why is that I can define a JDBC data source for JasperServer running on my desktop, pointing to a SQL Server machine, but on the SQL Server machine itself, where I have set up Tomcat and MySQL as services, and JasperServer is now running, I am not able to connect to the local SQL Server upon performaing a test of the data source...

Any indication of the problem?

Did you put the SQL Server JDBC driver into the Tomcat instance on the SQL Server machine?

Sherman

Jaspersoft

Post Edited by René Valencourt at 11/26/08 15:03

Post Edited by René Valencourt at 11/26/08 15:05