We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Formatting parameter input before query execute

jasonfsbo

Hello,

Is there a way to format parameter inputs before query execution?

The reason I ask is that, evaluating jasperserver pro, i have made a parameter using the datatypes/date input type.

I get this error: "java.sql.SQLException: Bad format for DATE 'Sun Sep 09 20:00:00 EDT 2007' in column 1."

And then I get "net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRException: Unable to get value for field 'test' of class 'java.util.Date'"

Why is this and how can I change "Sun Sep 09 20:00:00 EDT 2007" to "2007-09-09"?

Is that possible?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've managed to find the solution to my problem. I'm going to post below in hopes that it will help someone with a similar issue:

Code:

<parameter name="startDate" isForPrompting="true" class="java.util.Date">
<defaultValueExpression ><![CDATA[(new Date("July 1, 2007"«»))]]></defaultValueExpression>
</parameter>
<parameter name="sqlStartDate" isForPrompting="false" class="java.lang.String">
<defaultValueExpression ><![CDATA[(new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-MM-dd"«»).format($P{startDate}))]]></defaultValueExpression>
</parameter>

Note the isForPrompting="false" for the hidden parameter sqlStartDate, and that I'm using java.lang.String because I'm converting the startDate parameter into a string in sqlStartDate.

With this, you can pre-process any user input. With more experimentation, I hope to be able to say something like: [if input is valid, insert a where clause, else leave out of the query all together]

Hi Betty,

The parameter elements do have to be in order to the extent that any parameter must be set before you use it.

So, if you're going to use $P{myparam}, you're going to need <parameter name="myparam" ...> somewhere above that.

It will work as long as you can find the java methods to do what you need. I haven't been able to do any complex logic such as if/else, only single commands; I intend to explore this further.

As far as I know, Jasper should process the report parameters in the order they are specified.

Please let me know if you discover any tips with this method.

Thanks!