Historical report versioning and auditing??

snaga

Hi,

I'm interested in audit facilities on JasperServer

for compliance.

I've found that mentioned in the product sheet,

> Historical report versioning and auditing for regulatory compliance

> http://www.jaspersoft.com/JasperSoft_JasperServer.html

but I can't find the detailed documentation.

(Now I'm reading JasperServer User's Guide)

Does anyone have the information about this audit details?

- snaga

Post edited by: snaga, at: 2007/05/25 02:49

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is something that was missed in the documentation.

We do version FileResources, including JRXMLs and JARs, in the repository. We do not expose version information through the API or UI at this time.

What were you looking for?

Sherman

JasperSoft

Thanks for quick reply.

I have to trace the report generations/retreivals by all users, and have to know who get what information from the databases for the compliance.

Does The repository have all version of reports and all of user access log?

If so, I want to know about the repository details in next step.

- snaga

Post edited by: snaga, at: 2007/05/25 06:27

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm

I would be very interested in any information on the version control features of JasperServer.

My interest is not so much for a compliance reason, well not yet, but more the age old problem of wanting to return to an older version of the report.

I was thinking that I would need to store copies of the jrxml's outside of the JasperServer in CVS or similar.

Tom

JasperServer does version control JRXMLs in the database behind the scenes, but we do not expose the versioning at the API level, so you cannot say "give me all the versions or a particular version of a JRXML".

How would you want this to work? Through the user interface? For backup/restore? If you can detail your needs in our tracker, we can see what we can do.

Sherman

JasperSoft

• 1 year later...

Hello there,

This response is about a year late, but it was pointed out as an issue recently, so I'm responding. JasperServer allows you to schedule and save reports to the secure repository. When you save the file, you have the following options:

• Sequential File Names
  • Timestamp Pattern

Check Sequential File Names and you will save a snapshot of your report at that moment in time. The default timestamp is yyyymmddhh. In the screen shot below, I added seconds.

So, the scheduling feature gives you historical versioning of the report output. This can be useful when you need to audit report data for a specific date/time.

Mary

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I could see that reports (output of a report) can be versioned and saved for historical purposes.

How about versioning of the definition of the report (the JRXMLs)? I infer from this thread that internally the definitions are versioned but are not exposed via say an API. Is that still true?

I'm evaluating jasper reports for use in my reporting project and the ability to version the definition of the report is crucial. A report definition which is published and used by multiple clients cannot be easily modified without the fear of regression. Versioning solves that problem.

Thanks,

Shalin.