Assign version label to report

svenn

What are other developers doing when it comes to helping clients identifying which version of a report they are running? In the past what we have done is manual update a field on the report. We used a combination of the Jasper report file name and a version control number.

ie

File name = report1.jrxml

The label on the report would be

report1_v1

report1_v2

etc

What are others doing?

Has anyone automated the process? One item that we are concerned with is that the sometimes developer forget to update the version in a manual process.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We do version our reports in SourceSafe.

What I'm taking about is a label that appears on the output of a Jasper Report that is visible to the user. That way when they have an issue with a report they can clearly id which version of a report they are running. It comes in handy when you have multiple clients running mutiple versions of your reports.

sorry, svenn. i surely didn't get exactly what you had in mind. ;)

what i was thinking of was a way to maybe use some sort of a version identifier value taken from your versioning system that you use to id the "most current version" of the document cleared for deployment, and plug it into the report/form as a string via a parameter or a field. other than that, your guess is as good as mine... maybe even better. :)

Do post the solution to your requirements when you figure it out. I am sure that there are those like me who are interested in doing something similar to what you want to do in the future.

Good Luck!

Edwin