JasperReports Library 7.0 is now available ×

Protecting report files

andrewweh8

Hi all,

I've been using jasperreport and ireport to create reports for a while now and so far, I must say that it has not fail me.

Recently, there is a need to protect the report files from users changing it themselves, ie, the sql, formatting, etc. How can this be achieved? Can the files, both jasper and jrxml be encrypted? Also, how can I not permit the users from opening the files in ireport so that they can't change it in ireport? How can I hide the sql from users?

Pls help!!!! Thanks in advance!

Regards.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I don't know what kind of access or tools you let your end users use (are they simply using iReport directly?) bu there is no such security in JasperReports/iReport.

I guess it all boils down to the question:

how do you protect a TXT file from being edited by people using Notepad?

I hope this helps.

Teodor

Hi Theodor,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Looks like we control this by restricting access to the files right? Is the security planned for later releases? Reason I am asking this is that I plan to distribute some of the reports I wrote and am thinking of a way to track users using those reports and to protect the files distributed from being altered by users.Do you have other ideas of how I can achieve this?

Thanks again.

Hi,

This is something nobody asked for so far.

But we are open to any feature requests, so pleas feel free to log it here:

http://jasperforge.org/sf/tracker/do/listArtifacts/projects.jasperreports/tracker.feature_requests

However, you might consider using the JasperServer product, which offers a complete environment in which to publish reports and it also deals with security.

I hope this helps.

Teodor