Group Header Not Starting on New Page

rsilverns.sympatico.ca

I usually divide my report into pages by implementing dummy groups and having the group header contain each "page" of the report (with sub-reports etc. as required). When implmenting a new report I noticed something odd...

Consider the following test report that has 2 groups, each with just a header band. Each group has the "isStartNewPage" option set to true.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!-- Created using JasperAssistant (http://www.jasperassistant.com) -->
<!DOCTYPE jasperReport PUBLIC "-//JasperReports//DTD Report Design//EN" "http://jasperreports.sourceforge.net/dtds/jasperreport.dtd">

<jasperReport name="Test" pageWidth="595" pageHeight="842" columnWidth="555" leftMargin="20" rightMargin="20" topMargin="30" bottomMargin="30" isFloatColumnFooter="true">
<property name="ireport.scriptlethandling" value="0"/>
<property name="ireport.encoding" value="UTF-8"/>
<import value="java.util.*"/>
<import value="net.sf.jasperreports.engine.*"/>
<import value="net.sf.jasperreports.engine.data.*"/>
<style name="Arial" isDefault="true" fontName="Arial" fontSize="10" isBold="false" isItalic="false" isUnderline="false" isStrikeThrough="false" pdfFontName="Helvetica" pdfEncoding="Cp1252" isPdfEmbedded="false"/>
<variable name="Variable_1" class="java.lang.Integer" calculation="Count">
<variableExpression><![CDATA["test"]]></variableExpression>
<initialValueExpression><![CDATA[new Integer(0)]]></initialValueExpression>
</variable>
<group name="Group_1" isStartNewPage="true">
<groupExpression><![CDATA[$V{REPORT_COUNT}]]></groupExpression>
<groupHeader>
<band height="55">
<staticText>
<reportElement key="staticText" mode="Opaque" x="0" y="0" width="555" height="55" forecolor="#FFFFFF" backcolor="#8080FF"/>
<box topBorder="None" topBorderColor="#000000" leftBorder="None" leftBorderColor="#000000" bottomBorder="None" bottomBorderColor="#000000" rightBorder="None" rightBorderColor="#000000"/>
<textElement textAlignment="Center" verticalAlignment="Middle">
<font size="16" isBold="true"/>
</textElement>
<text><![CDATA[GROUP 1 HEADER BAND]]></text>
</staticText>
</band>
</groupHeader>
</group>
<group name="Group_2" isStartNewPage="true">
<groupExpression><![CDATA[$V{REPORT_COUNT}]]></groupExpression>
<groupHeader>
<band height="55">
<staticText>
<reportElement key="staticText" mode="Opaque" x="0" y="0" width="555" height="55" forecolor="#FFFFFF" backcolor="#FF00FF"/>
<box topBorder="None" topBorderColor="#000000" leftBorder="None" leftBorderColor="#000000" bottomBorder="None" bottomBorderColor="#000000" rightBorder="None" rightBorderColor="#000000"/>
<textElement textAlignment="Center" verticalAlignment="Middle">
<font size="16" isBold="true"/>
</textElement>
<text><![CDATA[GROUP 2 HEADER BAND]]></text>
</staticText>
</band>
</groupHeader>
</group>
</jasperReport>

When I run the report with no extra space except that required for the header text field, I have both group1 header and group2 header showing up on the same page, 1 after the other. I use an empty data source to test, with a size of 5... on each page I have..

---- Page Start-----

[ GROUP 1 HEADER ]

[ GROUP 2 HEADER ]

(misc. whitespace to fill page)

---- Page End ------

Shouldn't the [ GROUP 1 HEADER ] be on 1 page, and then [ GROUP 2 HEADER ] be on next page? If I set the "isStartNewPage" option for group 1 to be false, then what happens is that every time group 2 header is encountered a new page starts. So with an empty datasource of size 5, this looks like...

Page 1:

[ GROUP 1 HEADER ]

[ GROUP 2 HEADER ]

[ GROUP 1 HEADER ]

Page 2, 3, 4:

[ GROUP 2 HEADER ]

[ GROUP 1 HEADER ]

Page 5:

[ GROUP 2 HEADER ]

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The groups just break pages if the groupexpression returns something different than the previous groupexpression returned.

So I experienenced.

That's why I posted a feature request: http://jasperforge.org/sf/go/artf1651?nav=1

So playing around with MinHeightToStartNewPage could help... but this is not a clean solution.

So perhaps you could join my feature-request and Teodor has 10 mins to think about??!?! :-)

regards from Germany

C-Box

Sorry I forgot to mention, my groups all have the expression of $V{REPORT_COUNT}. I even tried making my own report_count type variable, and tacking "-Group2" onto end of group 2's expression in hopes of mixing up group expressions but they all behaved the same.

I will go to your feature request and check it out.

Thx Cbox,

Robin

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar problem with grouping. Hope any of you can help. I had posted this elsewhere too. I have a report that needs to be exported to Excel. Excel has a limit of 65534 rows on a single worksheet. Therefore for handling larger rows say 1 million records, I add a dummy group called Report_page and set the group expression to new Integer(($V{REPORT_COUNT}.intValue()-1)/1000). I use 1000 rows as a test. All the field names(static text) are in the Report_page header band. All the field value(text field) are in the detail. Lets say my dataset has a total of 4000 rows. I would expect the page break to be at 1000 rows but instead the page breaks at 128 rows. I have also set the minHeightToStartNewPage=0. Looks like this is taking precedence.

Thanks