We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Building with Postgresql

mpenningroth

I have been trying to get Jasperintelligence to build with Postgresql as its repository.

I am able to run the three build steps agains mysql just fine.

I then got the build (parts one and two) to work with Postgresql.

The unit tests are failing however (6 failures and 9 errors).

The first error is in the Tear down HibernateAccessTest.

I turned on the hibernate logging and I don't understand what the issue is.

I have attached the output from both a mysql run and the postgresql run.

Seems like the jndiName is not being set properly.

Any ideas?

(BTW after hacking my way through some tomcat configuration files, I am able to connect to jasperserver with postgresql as the repository. I am hitting a problem in that postgresql can't deal with blobs in autocommit mode though. Anothe topic...)

I have a word document that has some of the issues I found when I was doing the build. Just let me know if you want it... [file name=teardownprob.txt size=81722]http://www.jasperforge.org/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/files/teardownprob.txt[/file]

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mark!

There was a patch done for JI 1.0.1 at http://jasperforge.org/sf/go/artf1206?nav=1. It may help to look at that.

It looks like your problems are in the settings.xml configuration and related files.

Attached are some config files I have used to generate for Postgres.

Here is a section from the Maven settings.xml that uses those files:

Code:

<test.hibernate.cfg>C:/Docume~1/swood/postgres.hibernate.cfg.xml</test.hibernate.cfg>
<test.hibernate.jdbc.properties>C:/Docume~1/swood/postgres.jdbc.properties</test.hibernate.jdbc.properties>
<!-- When you run the metadata repository DDL generation, do you want the
database to be dropped and recreated? -->
<metadata.database.generate>true</metadata.database.generate>
<repository.database.driver.groupId>postgresql</repository.database.driver.groupId>
<repository.database.driver.artifactId>postgresql</repository.database.driver.artifactId>
<repository.database.driver.version>8.1-404.jdbc3</repository.database.driver.version>
<js.quartz.script>C:/Docume~1/swood/My Documents/workspace/jasperserver-trunk/scripts/quartz/tables_mysql_innodb.sql</js.quartz.script>

As you found, Postgres needs to read blobs in a transaction, which MySQL and other databases do not. I think the fix will be to change the metadata repository data source in the Spring configurations.

In WEB-INF/applicationContext.xml, try changing the XX bean definition as follows - drop the readOnly configurations on get* and find*:

Code:
[code] <bean id="hibernateRepoServiceTransactionInterceptor" class="org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor">
<property name="transactionManager" ref="transactionManager"/>
<property name="transactionAttributes">
<props>
<prop key="get*">PROPAGATION_REQUIRED</prop>
<prop key="find*">PROPAGATION_REQUIRED</prop>
<prop key="createFolder">PROPAGATION_REQUIRED</prop>
<prop key="save*">PROPAGATION_REQUIRED</prop>
<prop key="delete*">PROPAGATION_REQUIRED</prop>
<prop key="*">PROPAGATION_SUPPORTS</prop>
</props>
</property>
</bean>

Let me know how you go.

Sherman

JasperSoft [file name=postgres.txt size=2134]http://www.jasperforge.org/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/files/postgres.txt[/file]

Post edited by: swood, at: 2006/10/21 20:33

Thanks for the suggestions Sherman.

I had already changed my Maven settings to use my postgres database.

The SQL generated by the hibernate mapping tool (attached) looks very different than the SQL contained in the above patch. The sql in the patch does not have any blob (bytea in postgres) columns. They have all bee replaced with oid . The sql also does not make use of the postgres serial columns, which could come into play I guess. I will attempt to hand modify the sql that the hibernate mapping tool creates to see if I can make any progress. [file name=jasperserverCreate_ddl.txt size=20035]http://www.jasperforge.org/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/files/jasperserverCreate_ddl.txt[/file]

Post edited by: mpenningroth, at: 2006/10/23 13:12

Things are looking better. I made the changes to the bean definitions, and I also modified a couple of the other .xml .properties files under jasperserver-war .

I can now run the unit tests without errors, but I am still having some problems with the webapps. Do the unit tests rely on the config files under the jasperserve-war directory? The blob pproblem is gone, but I think I have a sugarcrm config problem. I am running with foodmart and jasper repository under postgres, and the mysql sugarcrm.

Thanks for your help. I plan to go back through the process and make sure I identify all the steps I had to do to the original build. I will make those avaiable here when I am done.:)

It is working now. I was using a different tomcat image and I had failed to put the mysql driver in the common/lib folder.

OK I am still having problems with blobs in postgres.

The readonly property on the beans do not make a difference.

Post edited by: mpenningroth, at: 2006/10/25 14:49

• 2 weeks later...

I was finally able to build and run on postgres 8.1 .

Please see the readme.txt in the attached zip file for what I had to do to get this to work.

I haven't really done much with the system yet, but it does run through the unit tests, and the samples in the web app works the same as the mysql one.

Regards,

Mark

Woops. My zipfile is too large. Let me know if you want it!

Post edited by: mpenningroth, at: 2006/11/01 17:53

Now im having problem in third build. I attached the error msg. FYI, i only create database for jasperserver and no db for foodmart/sugarcrm. is this cause the problem? [file name=unit_test_result.txt size=139894]http://www.jasperforge.org/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/files/unit_test_result.txt[/file]

Post edited by: anandharaj, at: 2006/11/06 07:07

I haven't seen the specific error you sent. I also did not have to change any pom files as these use properties from the other settings.

I have attached a zip file that documents my changes. Please see the readme file for more info. NOTE: Due to the size of the zipfile, I removed the sugarcrm script for postgres. You still should be able to run with foodmart and sugarcrm on mysql, and the jasper repository on postgres. You will of course have to make sure your maven setting properly reflect this.

Sorry I guess the zip is too big still...

Post edited by: mpenningroth, at: 2006/11/06 12:20

I ran into an issue with quartz that I was able to get around by adding this line to my js.quartz.properties file:

org.quartz.jobStore.driverDelegateClass = org.quartz.impl.jdbcjobstore.PostgreSQLDelegate

I did not spend any time on trying to make thsi property driven from the build. It should/could be. Maybe I will find time to do so when I get the 1.1 build going.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I am currently working on jasperserver repository migration from mysql to postgresql.

I did some modifications, and some functionalities are working (login, user creation...) but some others are not like role creation with some users.

I would be interested by the zip file provided by Mark to see if I didn't do something, but I cannot find it in the patches repository (and the link to to the ftp server provided by Mark seems to not contain the requested zip file).

Is there somewhere where I can find this patch?

Thank you in advance

alexis

I have a problem with JI with postgres. I´ve built the application without problem, but when i try to login in JI, the login page appears without problem and when i type my username and passwd, an error appears. I think this error is in database structure or SQL grammar. The error is the following

---------------------

nested exception is org.springframework.jdbc.BadSqlGrammarException: Hibernate operation: could not execute query; bad SQL grammar

nested exception is java.sql.SQLException: ERROR: doesn´t exists column this_6_.datasource

---------------------

The full error is in the file attached.

Thanks in advance.

Manuel.

[file name=ERROR_MESSAGE.txt size=55611]http://www.jasperforge.org/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/files/ERROR_MESSAGE.txt[/file] ERROR-MESSAGE.txt [/file]