JasperReports Library 7.0 is now available ×

INSERT & UPDATE used from iReport?

2006 IR Open Discussion

By: Mats Moeller - tenshi2k6

INSERT & UPDATE used from iReport?

2006-03-05 14:02

Hello,

I have setup iReport with HSQLDB. I'm a newbie, so I'm still learning.

In the iReport wizard I noticed if I use UPDATE or INSERT I'm able to change the data of my database. I do get an error stating "SQL Problems: General errorresult set is closed" from iReport, but if I access the database afterwards the data I entered to be updated or inserted, is now in the database.

Are you supposed to be able to do this or is it a bug/flaw?

I'm using iReport 1.2.0 and HSQLDB 1.8.0.2.

I'm intending to be using iReports in my work envirinment and so far it is a very nice tool. Thank you for releasing this software.

By: Doron Barak - doronbarak

RE: INSERT & UPDATE used from iReport?

2006-03-06 08:22

Hello Tenshi2k6,

Since iReports is a reporting tool (design and run-time environment), I'd refrain from using it as a data-entry tool simply because it was not designed for that goal.

Having said that, I believe the reason you can execute UPDATE/INSERT (and probably DELETE) SQL statement is simply because no one filters those out!

It may be possible (however unlikely) to create a set of reports that provide a data-entry front-end using interactive PDF's, but I'd be too skeptical to even try going that road myself.

Just the fact that when editing your Report's SQL query, its statement is being executed implies that iReports was never meant to have UPDATE/INSERT/DELETE statements as the base Query to drive a report.

Good luck in your usage of the tool, it is the best I've used so far in the Java scene.

Doron Barak

By: Giulio Toffoli - gt78

2006-03-06 09:46

I think that the best way to prevent insert and update queries (i.e. for security reasons) in a production enviroment is using ireport with a database user granted to execute only SELECT on your data. The user will still be able to execute any kind of SQL but without affecting your data.

Thanks

Giulio

By: Mats Moeller - tenshi2k6

2006-03-06 22:33

Thanks for the clarification guys!

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic