We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Dynamic font size

ilkkayli

Hello! I'm using stand-alone iReport 4.5.0. I have my reports in five languages (two more languages to come!). I'm designing the reports for English at first. When I get the translations e.g. in French, my Text Fields on jrxml-templates are not big enough for the French sentences. Do the new versions (4.8 or 5.0) have any solution to dynamically change the font size to resize the text to content? Stretching the field or using the "truncate at char" property are not the solutions I'm looking for.

For now I'm using two separate text fields with "Print When Expression" conditions. Some of those expressions are related to current language, some others to length of the text. Both solutions are dirty and I'd like find a better, dynamic solution because there are more languages to come and it would save me a lot of time.

I've used several hours looking for a solution to this so I hope the newer versions of iReport have brought some features to make progress?

Thank you!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Are you sure using isStretchWithOverflow="true" is not a good solution for you? In most cases, when texts are dynamic and you don't know how long they are, text field height should be let loose using this attribute. You can also group elements in frames or make use of their positionType attribute to manage the transformation of layout due to text becoming larger.

In any case, if you still think stretching text fields are not for you, what about the situation where the text field is much bigger than the text? Should the font size be increased so that we make the most of the available space?

Thanks,
Teodor