We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

iReport Designer 4.0.0 is terribly slow

roebie

Hi,

I'm currently testing the Jaspersoft suite. For that I installed the latest jasperreports and iReport (4.0.0) on my desktop computer. While using iReports everything runs smooth until I start the report editor. Then iReport becomes almost irresponsive and definitely impossible to work with on a daily basis.

I also noticed that the java process takes up at least 50% of CPU time as soon as I move over the report window. One or max two seconds after getting the cursor of that window CPU drops back to 1 to 3%, even if the mouse is still over the iReports window (eg, the menu or the repository navigator).

I'm wondering whether this is normal? I doubt it.

My desktop computer is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processer 6000+ 2.99 Ghz with 2GB RAM and has XP Pro SP3 installed on it as well as the latest Oracle Java (Java 6 Standard Edition version 6 update 23 build 1.6.0_23-b05). Imho that should be enough to run an application like this.

While writing is topic I remembered that I also saw a iReports plugin for NetBeans. So I installed that one too. That version is working like a charm. So I only have the unresponsiveness problem on the standalone version.

Is there anything I can do about this? As the company I work for plans to install iReport for several end users who don't have and won't get NetBeans, fixing this responsiveness problem on the standalone version is rather critical in the decision to start working with the Jasper suite.

Thanks in advance for any help in solving this.

Best regards, Bart

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Giulio,

Thanks for your response. Your suggestion didn't do any good.

However I - accidently - have found more for you to figure out considering this unresponsiveness.

I have 2 displays connected to my computer (both Samsung SyncMaster 2043BW). Display 1 is connected through DVI (digital) and display 2 is connected through RGB (classic analog). The video card is a ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 and I use the latest drivers as managed by the 'Catalyst Control Center'. The 2 displays are used as one big desktop area (extended mode).

When I run iReports on display 2 (maximised or smaller) all is fine. But as soon as display 1 is involved (even only having the outer border of the application window over display 1) this unresponsiveness appears.

Does this help you to figure out what is causing the problem?

If you need any more information just let me know.

Bart

• 1 year later...

I've been suffering the slowness of iReport for several months working with a huge report.

I've tried everything, even using JasperSoft Studio (which went a bit faster), but could never use the designer with a speed as when you're using Word.

Today I've discovered JasperWave (www.jasperwave.com) which goes really fast! So I recommend you to try JasperWave.