We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Cascading Filters in Dashboard - Jasper Server 6.1

jboomhower

I have seen a ton of strategies and ideas for getting cascading filters/input controls applied to a report using JRXML code and Studio but I don't see any indication of how to do the same on a dashboard.  Currently, we have a few dashboards, each with multiple reports that are tied to a list of input controls/filters.  What I am looking for is a way to reduce the selection of values in other input controls on the dashboard when one or more of them has been used to select distinct values.  I don't see any way to indicate cascade in the new filter manager dialog and Studio can't open a dashboard.  Suggestions?  Is this possible?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

View the repository and right-click on one of your published reports. Go to Edit. Under the Controls and Resources tab, add an input control. The screen that comes up will ask you to provide a name and resource ID for your new input control: make sure that the resource ID matches the parameter in your report exactly. On this same page you will select an input control type of either single-select query or multi-select query, depending on your needs.

The next page will ask you to name and define the query: enter a query that gets values that interest you and use the usual parameter syntax to refer to the "parent" input control, i.e. $P{my_param}, where my_param is the input control that is cascading to the control you are currently creating.

On the next page it will ask you to define the parameter value column and the visible columns. Name the parameter value column the exact name of the column that your report is expecting and name the visible column whatever column you prefer displayed in the input controls drop-down menu. So, for example, your query could be like:

SELECT STATE_ABBREVIATION, STATE_LONG_DESCRIPTION FROM STATES[/code]

and your parameter value name could be STATE_ABBREVIATION and the visible column could be STATE_LONG_DESCRIPTION.

jlongoria,

I have a few questions regarding your solution.

You mention right clicking and making input controls on a report but what I am concerned with is the filters on the dashboard.  I know how to tie the filters there to filters on the individual reports/dashlets so that a selection in the dashboard will filter all the reports in the dashboard.  I also have just done a hyperlink in Studio to a parameter/input control on a second report.  I don't see how adding a parameter in a report will help drive the available values in all other dashboard filters.  For example, a dashboard has a Master Customer and End Customer filter which ties to the same filters in the six dashlets/reports in the dashboard.  What I want is that when the user selects a Master Customer from the Dashboard filter, the available values in the End Customer filter on the dashboard are reduced so you can create an impossible combination which would set all reports to blank.  Is that possible?