We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

blind - no way to debug?

john.v.little

The biggest problem we have is that when the report just gives you either a blank page, or a page with only the column headers, there is no way to debug it or see why.  

Frequently a report which works perfectly one day, will suddenly not work the next.  The DB and SQL are fine.  

The only option in this case, is to start again. Generate the same report from scratch, piece by piece.

Jasper is missing any kind of debugging.  There is not even a log4j.properties file anywhere in the distriution, although there are posts which say there is.  WE dont even know if jasper is making it through to the DB.

I tried to sumbit this as a feature request in the report studio "Send feedback", but it doesnt recognise my use/password which I can use fine on this site.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, Jasper isn't missing debugging. JRXML is a markup language for representing elements of JasperReports Java library. We wouldn't debug HTML or XML directly. The JRXML gets compiled in a .jasper file, which is then interpreted the same way as Java. Notice when you have a blatent error in the jrxml, JSStudio or IReport provides the errors via the console; those are thrown in the underlying Java.

If you truly need debugging for generating reports, use Jasper's Java library. Then you can debug to your heart's content.

I'm clarifying this because it seems that you want to debug the markup language, and I don't think it's applicable. 

• 3 years later...

I assume you're referring to Jaspersoft Studio.

In the latest releases... you can print out information to the console as described in How to get Jaspersoft Studio logging output from within scriptlet.

Or you probably want to enable FINE-level logging for the specific class you're interested in. See Configuring Apache Commons Logging and Log4J in Jaspersoft Studio and https://community.jaspersoft.com/questions/841628/it-possible-log-generated-sql-jasper-studio for an example.