We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Multi Axis Reports in iReports (series expression)

clshafer

I am having difficulty with Multi Axis Line/Bar chart in iREPORTS.   I might be that I am not sure on how the Data Detail Series Expression works.  I am using a simple MySQL query pulling three distinct values("NumOfPrograms", "AvgCostperProgram", "AvgAttendees"),  in the first column called Cat1.  When I use the first column name "Cat1" for the Series Expression, I am able to create a line chart with 3 lines.  Everything is Great.  But, when I try to do like the example for multi-axis chart and add three individual Data Detail Series Expressions, one for each of the unique values in Cat1 I only get one series.

The three Data Detail

Series Expression= "NumOfPrograms"  , Category expression = $F(prog_type), Value expression = $F(amount)

Series Expression="AvgCostperProgram", Category expression= $F(prog_type), Value expression = $F(amount)

Series Expression="AvgInvitees", Category expression= $F(prog_type), Value expression = $F(amount)

The three columns from MySQL : (Cat1, prog_type, amount).   

It has just occurred to me I am not sure when/where I tell the Mult-axis chart which field to find the 3 distinct values ???  Could this be where I am missing something?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That link is THE example I have been using as a reference. When I put in the three separate Series expressions; "NumOfPrograms", "AvgCostperProgram", "AvgAttendees", which are the values in the column Cat1, I only get on one line instead of three, but the legend has the three entries. I do not specify anywhere to look at field cat1 it is just the first column is the query. Is there a place to put cat1 as the field to use and still specify the three values in three separate series expression.

Query Results:

Cat1 program_type amount

--------- ------------ ----------

Cost Breakfast 2347.504472

Cost Dinner 3360.645796

Cost Lunch 2513.695121

Invitees Breakfast 17.200000

Invitees Dinner 44.555762

Invitees Lunch 19.217391

Programs Breakfast 123.000000

Programs Dinner 1444.000000

Programs Lunch 580.000000

When a generate a line chart within Multiple Chart for this data set it looks great, I get three lines that represent the, but only if I specify $F(cat1) as the series expression. When I change the series expression to "Costs", I actually get a single line that has "Invitees" data, odd!!! If I specify the three series expressions individually (costs, Programs, Invitees) I get three lines all using INVITEES data, looking like single line.

cat1 program_type amount

-------- -------------- --------

Cost Breakfast 2347.504472

Cost Dinner 3360.645796

Cost Lunch 2513.695121

Invitees Breakfast 17.200000

Invitees Dinner 44.555762

Invitees Lunch 19.217391

Programs Breakfast 123.000000

Programs Dinner 1444.000000

Programs Lunch 580.000000

Is there a way to add a picture to show you the layout. It is a three column layout.(Cat1, program_type, amount). When I try to show the data is gets bunched up. When I generate a line chart within Multiple Chart for this data set it looks great, I get three lines that represent the three series, but only if I specify $F(cat1) as the series expression. When I change the series expression to "Costs", I actually get a single line that has "Invitees" data, odd!!! If I specify the three series expressions individually (costs, Programs, Invitees) I get three lines all using INVITEES data, looking like single line.