We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Jasper Server XP Install against existing MySQL

horatiog

Trying to install Jasper Server 3.7.0 on XP Pro SP3 from "jasperserver-ce-3.7.0-windows-installer.exe".

I already have a MySQL 5.1 Server installed on this machine running several databases. (I have verified that my MySQL service is up & running on 127.0.0.1/3306.  Can connect  no probs using command line client or MySQL Workbench 5.2 CE.) 

I try to install Jasper Server, specifying bundled Tomcat but existing MySQL database. When I get to the "MySQL Information" dialogue I specify my existing MySQL bin dir (C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\bin) and leave the  port specified as 3306. However, on clicking "Next", I always get the error "No server detected on port 3306. Please try again." 

Have you got any suggestions for me? Thanks for your help here - much appreciated.

Regards,

H.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you can check 3 things:-

1. Mysql not running on port specified

2. please check that right binary directory has been specified for existing mysql.

4. check if username and password are right.

hope this helps . this should surely work. if above things are right..

Ramnik Kaur

Senior QA Engineer

Thanks for the lightening quick reply Ramnik. In answer to your questions.

1. MySQL is running on the port specified. I verified this by going into my MySQL Workbench and checking the connection configuration here. It is 3306 and the connection from Workbench does work.

2. There is only one binary (bin) directory for MySQL on my machine. I navigated to the bin directory using Explorer and then copied the path across to the installation dialog.

3. I don't get as far as being prompted for a username & password; I get the error message as soon as I specify the bin dir & port number and click "Next>"

Any further ideas? Many thanks.

Regards,

Harry.

Hi Ramnik,

Thanks again. Yes, it is 127.0.0.1:3306 WorkBench is using to connect & it does connect successfully using those parameters. I can send you a screendump if you want to email me directly with your address - if that helps?

Regards,

Harry.

Its kinda weird. its really works for me. i confirmed it again just now

question ..- when u choose the binary directory did u try chosing using the browse button available?so that path automatically gets in the path text box ..

thanks

Ramnik Kaur

Senior QA Engineer

Hi Ramnik,

Thanks for keeping on going on with this. In answer to your question, yes, I did try both browsing to the bin directory as well as entering it directly. I also tried putting quotes round the pathname (in case it didn't like the spaces in the folder names.) Path is C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\bin. Is it some kind of problem with XP vs. UNIX? Forward/Back Slashes? The only difference in my server from standard install is that I have set it with the "Federated" option as it has shared tables with a remote database. I'll keep plugging away from this end but would appreciate any ideas you may come up with.

Cheers,

Harry.

Hi Lily,

I'm not sure where I should be looking for the log file. This problem occurs during the very first installation and, since the install script cannot connect to my existing MySQL DB, I have to cancel out of the installation. Therefore there do not appear to be any "Jasper" folders in which such a logfile could be left, nor does there appear to be any logfile in the directory I am running the installation script from, nor anything in the root directory. Can you suggest where else I should look for such a log?

I take it that you believed I could answer your subsequent questions from looking in the logfile. As stated previously, I am telling install script to use "C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\bin" (by browsing to it) and specifying Port 3306. (Not sure what you mean by URL? - IP address is 127.0.0.1)

Sorry I can't be of any more help. Any more suggestions welcome though!

Regards,

Harry.

Hi Harry:
    It sounds like your MySQL server is not in the same machine as the jasper server. Is that correct? I was reading the install Guide. It says if you are choosing an existing MySQL installation, the MySQL server has to be in the local machine. http://www.scribd.com/doc/9984145/Jasper-Server-Install-Guide (around page 11 or 12)
Will this be why jasper server can not find your MySQL server?

The log file is mostly live in WEB_INF\logs\gc.log. 

Hope this help,
Lily

Hi Lily,

No I'm afraid that isn't the answer either. I am trying to install the Jasper server on the same machine as MySQL server. I think what you might of read, further up these postings, is that I had set up the LOCAL MySQL server as "Federated" as some tables in it have to be replicated onto a remote MySQL database. But the server I am trying to connect to is the LOCAL one on the same machine.

Re: the path to the log file; where is that path from? Where does the WEB_INF folder reside?

Thanks for your ongoing help here.

Regards,

H.

Hi Harry:

I see. Couple things:

1.       You can check your log file in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp\bitrock_installer_<number>.log
2.       In your mysql instance, does Jasper server create new schema like “jasperserver” database,
Jasperdb user, sample database “foodmart” or “sugarcm”

When jasper server use tomcat to talk to mysql, did you mind the jdbc driver in tomecat common/lib or lib directory?

Hope this help,
Lily

Hi Lily,

1. OK, I've found that log. And it may help. Here are the first few lines:

Log started 08/24/10 at 17:24:40

Preferred installation mode : win32

Mode win32 successfully initialized

Executing C:\Program Files\jasperserver-ce-3.7.0/bin/allctl.bat stop

Script exit code: 1

Script output:

MySQL server shutting down...

Tomcat server shutting down...

Using CATALINA_BASE: C:\Program Files\jasperserver-ce-3.7.0\apache-tomcat

Using CATALINA_HOME: C:\Program Files\jasperserver-ce-3.7.0\apache-tomcat

Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: C:\Program Files\jasperserver-ce-3.7.0\apache-tomcat\temp

Using JRE_HOME: C:\Program Files\jasperserver-ce-3.7.0\java

Script stderr:

C:\Program Files\jasperserver-ce-3.7.0/mysql\bin\mysqladmin.exe: connect to server at 'localhost' failed

error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)'

24-Aug-2010 17:24:49 org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina stopServer

SEVERE: Catalina.stop:

java.net.ConnectException

I've truncated it there. If you want the whole thing let me know your email addy and I'll send it. Seems to me that the most significant line in there is:

error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)'

However, the script never prompted me for a password for 'root'? (No did it prompt me which username to try & log in with; I guess its just defaulting to 'root'?) Surely the script doesn't expect the root username to be unprotected by password?

2. The jasper server doesn't seem to have added anything to my MySQL server databases. Not surprising, as it doesn't appear to be able to connect.

I'm sorry but I don't really understand your last question re: Tomcat. If it helps, I requested it used the bundled Tomcat (as I do not have this already installed.) Again, I would guess that the installation script has not got as far as installing Tomcat as it cannot connect to the MySQL database?

Hope this allows us to progress. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Harry.

i notice this in log:-

"

C:\Program
Files\jasperserver-ce-3.7.0/mysql\bin\mysqladmin.exe: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost'
(using password: YES)'

"

it is still going to jasperserver-ce-3.7.0 mysql and not ur existing mysql ...

Ramnik Kaur

Senior QA Engineer

In case you are inetrsted , There is another option to Install ..

War file deployment -> Instruction are in install guide . in that case , uyou have more control over the password , user name and what u use as existing mysql ..

Senior QA Engineer

Hi Ramnik:

Thank you for point out that jasper server is still using the default mysql instead of Harry's existing MySQL setting.

I could be wrong. However, this does not behave like the way it described in the install guide. After enter port and location, the installation should prompt user name and password. Since we know from the log that the installation process did not use existing MySQL server, how can we work around with this problem? Can you please shed some lights for Harry and me?

Thanks,

Lily

Actually , the reason it is not prompting for user name and password is that It is not able to find running MYSQL Server Instance at given binary directory and port

After , it detects for running mysql server at 127.0.0.1:3306 , it prompts for username and password

but since, first steps fails , it gives error ..and never get to step 2 asking for username and password

Ramnik Kaur

Senior QA Engineer

Hi Ramnik,

Had a go with the WAR archive. Started following instructions, but I failed at step 5.7 on the first ANT command: "js-ant create-js-db". I copied the default config file up, renamed it and edited it to supply my own root password but the settings for Tomcat, I couldn't change, as I do not have Tomcat installed (yet!) I thought that the script might prompt to install the bundled Tomcat but it doesn't give me this option. The script just aborts because it can't find the web app server. Does this mean I have to find, download & install Tomcat myself, if I am going to try and go the "install from WAR" route?

Cheers, Harry.