We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Windows and Linux development of iReport reports

thosp8246

We currently have a number of reports developed in iReport that were developed on Windows using iReport 2.0.4, migrating to 3.7.1.  The JRXML and JASPER files are stored on a Windows server that produces the reports in PDF format.

We are also needing to develop the reports under Linux (Ubuntu).  However, when I open the JRXML files in Linux the formatting is slightly different, and even more different when previewing the report with the internal viewer (and PDF).  This makes it difficult to use a Linux workstation to develop the JRXML files that could be run on (currently) a Windows server.

What can be done so that JRXML files can be developed on either a Windows or a Linux workstation, and then have the JRXML files compliled and the reports generated by either a Windows or a Linux server?

My guess is that it has something to do with the fonts.  If so, does anyone have some specific suggestions as to how to get the same fonts on both the Windows and Linux workstations and the Windows and Linux servers?

TIA,

Thomas

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are having similar issues except going the other way. We develop and test our reports on Windows then run them in production under Linux. They render fine in Window. When we run the same reports on Linux we experience truncation issues on some of the fields. I expect it is a font issue but have not been able to confirm this.

I have noticed the same behavior moving from a Windows to an AIX(UNIX) or LINUX environment when producing the reports as PDF. Even though the font seems the same the space required for UNIX/LINUX to display the fonts needs to be larger. I simply increase the size of the text areas and then everything prints correctly and matches the file printed on the Windows machines. Just make sure that the text areas are transparent and if any background color or lines are needed use either rectangles or frames along with the straight lines to create what you need.

I hope that this will help you out.

Thank you for your suggestion about increasing the size of the object. I did notice that as an issue. However, my problem is that the font looks slightly different when run on a Windows workstation as opposed to a Linux workstation.

It looks more like a proportional font on Windows, and a fixed font on Linux. Besides the appearance, the spacing and layout would need to be different between the two.

We have a mixed development environment, with both Windows and Linux workstations, and a mixed server environment, where the print server for these reports is currently Windows but may be soon switching over to a Linux server.

I would like to come up with a solution that is OS agnostic where it does not matter what workstation was used to design the reports and does not matter what type of OS the print server runs on (Windows or Linux) - and the reports will print/look the same regardless of the OS used to design and print them.

Anyone have some suggestions other than telling me to wake up and stop dreaming?

• 10 years later...