We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Heap Memory

lorenzo.renzi

I have a repor with 2 milion of record.

Heap Memory = 1600 m ( is the max form 32bit)

I receve a heap memory error when run the report.

Is correct even increase heap memory?

I have to use 64-bit architecture?

Is correct set  heap memory = 4giga?

Is possible on window 2003 server x64?

Thank's

Lorenzo Renzi

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you generating a JasperReport report with a lot of pages? In JasperServer, the virtualizer will page the report content to disk so that you should not run out of memory.

Or are you trying to use JasperServer Professional ad hoc or domain reports through the browser? We have done tests with 10s of millions of rows, with compressed in-memory query results on Linux machines with 6GB of heap. I believe that Sun Java on Windows 64 bit will allow you to set the amount of heap.

Sherman

Jaspersoft

Post Edited by swood at 07/02/2009 02:24

I have installed jasperserver on window server x64.

JRE 6 x64

TomCat 64 bit as window service.

4 processor

6giga ram

i use this configuration:

Xms4000m -Xmx4000m

When run 1 or 2 report (with 150k record) the performance is very bad.

I don't have heap memory error, but jasperserver is slow when navigate between folder or the page load more time when try to login.

Can you help me?

Thank's

Rather than committing all 4GB at once, try letting the app server gradually use RAM by using -Xms2000m. After the reports run, how much heap is used?

You did not tell me how many pages the reports generated.

Usually, the bottleneck in performance is the query itself. Is the query perform well outside of JasperServer?

Does the report run well in iReport?

I don't know why JasperServer would be slow moving from folder to folder. Do you have a lot of objects in the repository? A lot of permission definitions? Is the repository on the same machine as Tomcat? is it MySQL?

Sherman

Jaspersoft

>>Usually, the bottleneck in performance is the query itself. Is the query
>>perform well outside of JasperServer
>>Does the report run well in iReport?

The query is very heavy. Use 100% cpu when run in ireport.

>>I don't know why JasperServer would be slow moving from folder to folder.

Do you have a lot of objects in the repository? No only 8 big file ( 20/30m). >

>A lot of permission definitions?

What's definition?

>>Is the repository on the same machine as Tomcat? is it MySQL?

YES and YES

JasperServer is very slow when click on repository folder(/root/Content files/CSV)

The problem is Mysql? Exists jasper support in italy?

Lorenzo Renzi

Post Edited by lore0457 at 07/03/2009 08:30

Also:

If a user click on /root/Content files/CSV) ( folder where are some file), the server's cpu usage >30%

If 2 users click on /root/Content files/CSV) ( folder where are some file), the server's cpu usage >60%

If 3 users click on /root/Content files/CSV) ( folder where are some file), the server's cpu usage >90%

Is normal!?!?!?

Also,

I installed GLASSBOX for check problem.

I attach the result

Thank's a lot ..... i'm disperate.

OK, I think I see the problem. It is related to your other issue http://jasperforge.org/plugins/espforum/view.php?group_id=112&forumid=102&topicid=59365

When you browse the repository, we are using Hibernate behind the scenes. The documents are stored as blobs in the repository database. We don't need to pull the whole document into memory just to display it in the folder list, and I thought that we weren't, but it looks like we are. So in this case, when a user hits that folder with the 8 20-30MB documents, they are being pulled into memory - 240MB/user. So 3 users = 720MB of JVM heap. This is only done to get the list, so the documents are released quickly, but the time to load the document into heap is still significant, causing the performance problems.

We use the same repository access mechanism during the export, so you will have similar heap memory issues.

Obviously, this is a concern. I'll see how we can look into this some more and come up with a patch if needed.

We do have support in Italy. Our support team is worldwide, covering all time zones. We are all over Europe: Ireland, France, Luxemborg, Germany, Romania, Ukraine and Italy. Guilio Tuffoli - the iReport lead - is in Padova. And there we have implementation and technology partners too.

Sherman

Jaspersoft

I have 2 machine:

First machine:
ram: 6giga
cpu: 6 processor.
Heap memory like this: 512mb -1024mb
When i user Js-export i have the Heap Memory problem.
No another activity on server ( jasperserver in not running during export)
In the repository i have 6/7 large file (20/30 mb).
JasperServer would be very slow moving from folder to repository.
JasperServer using more CPU moving from folder to repository.

In this machine i have often heap memory when run a video my report ( 150k record, 6.000 pages)

Second machine:
ram: 6giga
cpu: 4 processor.
Heap memory like this: 512mb -4000mb
In this machine i not runa js-export.
JasperServer would be very slow moving from folder to repository.
JasperServer using more CPU moving from folder to repository.

I see high use of cpu (90%), when run  10/15 report at the same time.

I attach the GLASSBOX report.

I can do other tests?

How i can contact with Toffoli?

Thank's for support and patience.

Lorenzo Renzi
iTHAN -- www.ihan.it

Post Edited by lore0457 at 07/04/2009 07:54

• 3 weeks later...

Aksking some other folks, this is a problem with MySQL. JasperServer does not load the report content explicitly, but the MySQL JDBC driver does because the rows are accessed. We will see what we can do to improve this.

Sherman

Jaspersoft

• 2 years later...

Any update on this?

Code:
  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAN13718 tomcat    20   0 5474m 471m  17m S  0.3  4.0   0:41.23 java13718 tomcat    20   0 5538m 636m  17m S 98.0  5.4   0:44.18 java13718 tomcat    20   0 5538m 640m  17m S 62.5  5.4   0:46.06 java13718 tomcat    20   0 5538m 632m  17m S  1.0  5.3   0:46.09 java13718 tomcat    20   0 5538m 626m  17m S  2.3  5.3   0:46.16 java13718 tomcat    20   0 5538m 628m  17m S 25.3  5.3   0:46.92 java13718 tomcat    20   0 5474m 552m  17m S  0.7  4.6   0:46.94 java

Does anyone know if this problem with Export pulling entire report into memory causing java heap issue still exists in Jasper Server  CP 4.2.1?  Got issue with running 6-8 concurrent report running with good performance above that number and taking major performance hit,  this is 64bit, I have increased java variables for heap include permsize without improvement.  Reports being run are fairly large with many subreport.   Need  this explained away before moving toward production.  For more info checkout my posting at http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Have-performance-issue-after-6-1812535.S.111667174