We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Concatenating 2 fields, one of them null

pennywiser

Hi! I'm trying to concatenate 2 fields in a single box. The box have the "Blank when null" property checked, the problem is that when the box receive any of the fields with data, and the second field in "null" it shows the null text instead the blank space.

I though about fixing it by Java code, changing the null for a blank space like " " but I would like to know if there's a way to do it with iReport 1.2.5.

Thanks!

Code:
$F{codigoRecomendaciones}+"  -  "+$F{ordenRecomendaciones} 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should be able to create a variable and test for either item being null there. Something like this should work:

$F{codigoRecomendaciones}!=null&$F{ordenRecomendaciones}!=null?$F{codigoRecomendaciones}+"  -  "+$F{ordenRecomendaciones}:F{codigoRecomendaciones}==null?$F{ordenRecomendaciones}:F{codigoRecomendaciones}I have never used that version of iReport but have done this type of thing in later versions so it should work. 

• 1 year later...

the best way is doing it with java:

($F{field_1}!=null?$F{field_1}:"")+($F{field_2}!=null?$F{field_2}:"")+...($F{field_8}!=null?$F{field_8}:"")

another way is to use DB function...

in Oracle try nvl:

select ...
   nvl(field_1,' '),
   nvl(field_2,' '),
   nvl(field_3,' '),
   nvl(field_4,' '),
from aTable

if it works... give me KARMA points please!    : ) 

listening:
Placebo - Where is my mind

Thanks Slow,

I am still having a bit of a problem, if I insert a break between each field ($F{field_1}!=null?$F{field_1}:"")+($F{field_2}!=null? ", ":$F{field_2})

so when there is more than one field it grows. IE: field 1, field 2, field 3, field 4 etc but when there is just one it reads field 1. I get "," when the field is null and have "null" appearing again.

Many Thanks for your help,

I think you're committing something wrong with java String concatenation...

try this:

(($F{field_1}!=null?$F{field_1}:"")+($F{field_2}!=null?","+$F{field_2}:"")+($F{field_3}!=null?","+$F{field_3}:"")+($F{field_4}!=null?","+$F{field_4}:""))

if you want delete the first "," if it apper you can use:

(($F{field_1}!=null?$F{field_1}:"")+($F{field_2}!=null?","+$F{field_2}:"")+($F{field_3}!=null?","+$F{field_3}:"")+($F{field_4}!=null?","+$F{field_4}:"")).startWith(",")?(($F{field_1}!=null?$F{field_1}:"")+($F{field_2}!=null?","+$F{field_2}:"")+($F{field_3}!=null?","+$F{field_3}:"")+($F{field_4}!=null?","+$F{field_4}:"")).substring(1):(($F{field_1}!=null?$F{field_1}:"")+($F{field_2}!=null?","+$F{field_2}:"")+($F{field_3}!=null?","+$F{field_3}:"")+($F{field_4}!=null?","+$F{field_4}:""))

or you can use a variable the simplify this notation...

listening:
Underworld - Juanita/Kiteless [Everything, Everything]

oh... :)

I'm posting this and in the while you have posted a reply to... :)
well :)

Post Edited by slow at 05/27/2010 09:53

using variables:

define a variable

temp = (($F{field_1}!=null?$F{field_1}:"")+($F{field_2}!=null?","+$F{field_2}:"")+($F{field_3}!=null?","+$F{field_3}:"")+($F{field_4}!=null?","+$F{field_4}:"").........)

then in the textfield:

$V{temp}.startsWith(",")?$V{temp}.substring(1):$V{temp}

thanks for karma... :)

listening:
Underworld - Juanita/Kiteless [Everything, Everything]

Post Edited by slow at 05/27/2010 10:13

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I hope it is OK bringing this old post back to life!

I wanting to format a report to present data prefixed with text if the field was filled in the db but not if left null.

I am using the following code

(($F{old_tag1}!=null?"Tag Number: "+$F{old_tag1}+". ":"")+($F{tpo}!=null?" TPO Number: "+$F{tpo}+". ":" ")+
($F{height}!=null?"Height(m): "+$F{height} + ". ":"")+($F{spread}!=null?"Spread: "+$F{spread} +"m. ":"")+($F{distance_road}!=null?"Distance Nearest Structure:  "+$F{distance_road} + "m. ":"")+
($F{dbh}!=null?"DBH(cm): "+$F{dbh}:"")+($F{dbh_2}!=null?", "+$F{dbh_2}:"")+($F{dbh_3}!=null?", "+$F{dbh_3}:"")+($F{dbh_4}!=null?", "+$F{dbh_4}+". ":"")+
($F{number_of_stems}!=null?"Number of Stems: "+$F{number_of_stems} + ". ":"")+($F{age_class_description}!=null?" Life Stage: "+$F{age_class_description}+ ". ":"")+($F{vitality_description}!=null?"Vitality: "+$F{vitality_description}+ ". ":"")+
($F{park_value_description}!=null?"Physiological Condition: "+$F{stability_description}+". ":"")+($F{stability_description}!=null?"Structural Condition: "+$F{stability_description}+". ":"")+
($F{longevity_description}!=null?"Useful life expectancy(years): "+$F{longevity_description}+". ":"")+($F{longevity_after_description}!=null?"Useful life expectancy after work (years): "+$F{longevity_after_description}+". ":"")+($F{note}!=null?"Surveyors Comments: "+$F{note}+". ":""))

It works great if all fields are filled but if i dont fill old_tag1 for example i get the text "Tag Number:" +", ".

Any help would be gratefully recieved!