We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Base64 images from xml datasource

PixM

Hi,

We are working with complex jasperreports using xml as a datasource and we are including images. Currently we are using a parameter map for inserting the images, but we wish to use base64 images from the xml datasource.

Is there any chance that this functionality will be supported by jasper/ireport in the future?

Or is there a way to construct some sort of scriptlet so that the image field can be set to retrieve the xml data and convert it into an image object?

Tnx & Regards,

pixm

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T M
Wrote:

Hi,

We are working with complex jasperreports using xml as a datasource and we are including images. Currently we are using a parameter map for inserting the images, but we wish to use base64 images from the xml datasource.

Is there any chance that this functionality will be supported by jasper/ireport in the future?

Or is there a way to construct some sort of scriptlet so that the image field can be set to retrieve the xml data and convert it into an image object?

Tnx & Regards,

pixm

Well,

Found a solution to this:

Insert the following import directive in the report you want to use the images in:

- org.apache.commons.codec.binary.Base64

Next declare a variable (to be fancy)

new ByteArrayInputStream(new Base64().decodeBase64($F{image}.getBytes("UTF-8")))

This puts the string in a byte array, decodes it from base64 and puts it in an inputstream.

Where the $F{image} represents the value of the image tag in a base64 string.

Now use this variable in a picture object a inputstream and voila, image appear in your report.

Regards,

pixm

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

In regards to this;

I've been having trouble with adding multiple images encoded as base64, and have managed to work out that all image data must be loaded first before any reading is done, otherwise ireport simply shows a blank image. I've acheived this by ordering the jrxml to have all base64 data before any variable operations to load the data from it.

It seems quite straightforward now i think of it, but it may help someone hopefully.

• 1 year later...

For a purely static image (repeated throughout the report on say the title and page headers)

I declared a variable of type String and set it to the Base64 encoded image data.

I added the commons-codec-1.9.jar to the project's build path as an external jar.

Then for the image Expression - I set it to 

new ByteArrayInputStream(new org.apache.commons.codec.binary.Base64().decodeBase64($V{ImageVariable}.getBytes("UTF-8")))

Note that I had to fully qualify the apache commons Base64 class.

I set the evaluation time to 'Report' and 'Using Cache' to true.

• 5 years later...

If you want decode image from string.

First you should drag "Image" from Palette, then go to the properties of Image paste this expression  (new java.io.ByteArrayInputStream(org.apache.commons.codec.binary.Base64.decodeBase64($F{String}.getBytes()))) in the Image expression editor.

Note: In my case Field name is "$F{String}".