We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Long nontabular document

johnniepop

Hi there!

Can someone give me a hint how can be made a long document (50-100 pages), which is made of many sections instead of tabular data? I.e. the details band is not used, but the sections are conjoined in the lets say summary band. This also means I have not only one query, but as many queries as the number of the sections.

Are the sub-reports the only way of doing this? And is it possible at all?

Regards,

jp

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have multiple queries then yes sub-reports are the way to do it. With the number of sections that you have you will probably have to play with the properties of the sub-reports so the data in them does not run into each other.

Thank you for the answer svenn!

Generally I was going in the same direction. what bothered me is if the summary band becomes too narrow in time, while adding more and more sub-reports to it. what actually are the limits of expanding it?

Thanks and regards,

jp

Hi again!

The example I gave before, seems to the easier case. Any hint on the following variant?

The document has the same volume and structure (50-100 pages, many sections). Is it really an optimization if the data for all the sections is delivered through one single query (just one query = less time for communication with the db server)?

I guess in that case the sub-reports feature won't be applicable.

Is this really a better solution and if so, how all the sections will be placed in the small summary band?

Regards,

jp