1.2 Linux Installer Available

tkavanagh

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I'm a newbie, just wanted to find out the installing infrastructure. I'm wondering if I'm able to install the linux version install on server and using Oracle for data repository.

Meanwhile I'm able to install window version of ETL and ireport on a separate PC.

Is this possible? I couldn't find anything in the notes to say you can install separately etc etc.

Many thanks

Joshua White

I'll make a new Forum Topic out of your question. Since the original post was from 2007 and is regarding an old version (ie 2.1) it will be confusing to people.

There is a "binary" installer which runs on linux or windows. It only directly supports installing to Tomcat app server and MySQL database.

If you want to install to Oracle, you should get the War File Distribution Zip download (but this is a Pro only package - so you would talk to Sales).

However, you can install using the installer and then use a datasource to point to your oracle data. See the User Guide for how to set this up (download doc zip from downloads area).

It sounds like you have ETL and iReport installed just fine. From iReport you can make a web services connection to JasperServer and upload your newly created reports to JasperServer.

Hi Tony,

Sorry, I wasn't clear on my initial question to you.

Based on your response, what you're effectively confirming is that...

On the server I can install: linux JasperServer, changing the datasource pointing to Oracle?

On my PC winXP professional, I can install the following: Win JasperETL, Win JasperReport, Win JasperiReport and Win Jasper Anaylsis?

Basically the idea, I wanted to leave the server alone, and do a lot of putting reports together on the PC, which you have confirmed, I can easily upload to the JasperServer.

Would that be possible, just being cautious as we've had problems with Pentaho, so we don't want another mishap.

Kind regards

Joshua

Yes, this is a typical setup.

However, a couple of corrections. JasperServer and JasperAnalysis are essentially the same thing. I know this is confusing ... but just think of Analysis as being a sub-set of the JasperServer functionality. Some users are mainly interested in Reports (and not Analysis). Some users are mainly interesting in Analysis (and not Reports). So, the "branding" kind of makes them like they are two different applications. On CE (Community Edition) you get both in on installation.

You can look at the JasperServer User Guide and the JasperAnalysis User Guide and try out a few of the simple viewing functions toward the beginning of these documents and I think things will be more clear. (look in <js-install>/docs dir - or download docs zip from download area).

It is pretty typical to install JasperServer on a server and then put iReport on a Windows desktop. There is the Jasperserver-ireport-plugin (already included in iReport installer). This allows iReport to connect to JasperServer to pull down reports, and publish reports to JasperServer. Take a look at the JasperServer User Guide section 4.4 "Creating reports using the iReport plugin". This will show you how to connect to JasperServer, etc.