We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

pls help with font problem

By: Yong Wang - wymz

pls help with font problem

2002-12-16 19:30

Hi, I am trying to create a few font definitions for Arial, Courier, and Times with different styles, Normal, Bold, and Italic. So here is what's in my jasper xml:

<reportFont name="Arial_Italic" fontName="Arial" isBold="false" isItalic="true" size="8" isDefault="false" isPdfEmbedded="false" pdfEncoding="Cp1252" pdfFontName="Helvetica-Oblique" />

<reportFont name="Arial_Normal" fontName="Arial" isBold="false" isItalic="false" size="8" isDefault="true" isPdfEmbedded="false" pdfEncoding="Cp1252" pdfFontName="Helvetica" />

<reportFont name="Arial_Bold" fontName="Arial" isBold="true" isItalic="false" size="8" isDefault="false" isPdfEmbedded="false" pdfEncoding="Cp1252" pdfFontName="Helvetica-Bold" />

<reportFont name="Courier_Italic" fontName="Courier" isBold="false" isItalic="true" size="8" isDefault="false" isPdfEmbedded="false" pdfEncoding="Cp1252" pdfFontName="Courier-Oblique" />

<reportFont name="Courier_Normal" fontName="Courier" isBold="false" isItalic="false" size="8" isDefault="true" isPdfEmbedded="false" pdfEncoding="Cp1252" pdfFontName="Courier" />

<reportFont name="Courier_Bold" fontName="Courier" isBold="true" isItalic="false" size="8" isDefault="false" isPdfEmbedded="false" pdfEncoding="Cp1252" pdfFontName="Courier-Bold" />

<reportFont name="Times_Italic" fontName="Times" isBold="false" isItalic="true" size="8" isDefault="false" isPdfEmbedded="false" pdfEncoding="Cp1252" pdfFontName="Times-Oblique" />

<reportFont name="Times_Normal" fontName="Times" isBold="false" isItalic="false" size="8" isDefault="true" isPdfEmbedded="false" pdfEncoding="Cp1252" pdfFontName="Times" />

<reportFont name="Times_Bold" fontName="Times" isBold="true" isItalic="false" size="8" isDefault="false" isPdfEmbedded="false" pdfEncoding="Cp1252" pdfFontName="Times-Bold" />

It works for Arial and Courier, but I am getting exception for Times fonts during runtime:

* WARNING: Failure using Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader() *

* in JRLoader class. Using JRLoader.class.getClassLoader() instead. *

dori.jasper.engine.JRException: Could not load font from location : Times

at dori.jasper.engine.export.JRPdfExporter.exportText(JRPdfExporter.java:850)

at dori.jasper.engine.export.JRPdfExporter.exportPage(JRPdfExporter.java:316)

at dori.jasper.engine.export.JRPdfExporter.exportReportToStream(JRPdfExporter.java:270)

at dori.jasper.engine.export.JRPdfExporter.exportReport(JRPdfExporter.java:214)

at dori.jasper.engine.JasperExportManager.exportReportToPdfStream(JasperExportManager.java:166)

I am totally baffled. It appears that jasper is trying to locate "Times" font from a file named "Times". But how come it works for Arial and Courier? where is it trying to load the font from?

I'd appreciate any insight or solution how I can make this work. Thanks.

By: Teodor Danciu - teodord

RE: pls help with font problem

2002-12-17 02:03

Hi,

Try pdfFontName="Times-Roman".

Thank you,

Teodor

By: Chuck Deal - cdeal

2002-12-17 05:21

Here is what I have in my file.

<reportFont name="Times" isDefault="false" fontName="Times New Roman" size="10" isBold="false" isItalic="false" isUnderline="false" isStrikeThrough="false" pdfFontName="Times-Roman" pdfEncoding="Cp1252" isPdfEmbedded="false"/>

<reportFont name="TimesBold" isDefault="false" fontName="Times Bold" size="10" isBold="true" isItalic="false" isUnderline="false" isStrikeThrough="false" pdfFontName="Times-Bold" pdfEncoding="Cp1252" isPdfEmbedded="false"/>

As you can see, they are similiar. I don't think your definitions are wrong. I had a similiar problem that generated the exception that you gave because I had <textElement> that contained a <font reportFont="Times"/> and there was no definition of the reportFont "Times".

2002-12-17 12:34

Thank you for the info. I tried Times-Roman as the "normal" Times fonts, and it works. I am now getting the same exception about "Times-Oblique". What pdfFontName should I use for Times with Italic style? Thanks.

2002-12-17 12:41

Pls disregard my previous question. I tried the obvious (Times-Italic) and it works!

By: Teodor Danciu - teodord

2002-12-17 23:15

Hi,

Use pdfFontName="Times-Italic".

Here are the 14 built-in fonts that iText supports:

"Courier"

"Courier-Bold"

"Courier-Oblique"

"Courier-BoldOblique"

"Helvetica"

"Helvetica-Bold"