Linux Tunning for jasperreports-server

megatro

Dear Community,

I have jasperreports-server processes, and the end of the months its consuming high memory usage, which causing many alerts on all sites. Looks all other resources (CPU, disk) are idle or low usage.
Only memory going to use 99%
My question: Is there any recommended linux tuning which maybe can decrease the memory usage? Meaning which limits recommended to use?

If you have any good solution or tips for linux tuning, please let me know?

Regards
Balazs

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi again,

this is mine setenv.sh file:

export JAVA_OPTS="-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Xms12288m -Xmx12288m -Xss20m"

export CATALINA_OPTS="$CATALINA_OPTS -XX:MetaspaceSize=96m -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=256m"
export CATALINA_OPTS="$CATALINA_OPTS -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:HeapDumpPath=/opt/tomcat/logs/java_heapdump_pid_%p.log"
export CATALINA_OPTS="$CATALINA_OPTS -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC"
export CATALINA_OPTS="$CATALINA_OPTS -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode"
export CATALINA_OPTS="$CATALINA_OPTS -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing"

I have Oracle Linux 8.x server with 20 GB RAM and 6 core processor.

Ram is always about 16GB in used, and proces depends on number of transactions.

Java: jva version "1.8.0_321"
Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_321-b07)
Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.321-b07, mixed mode)

Daily between 50000 and 90000 transactions I have.

Thank you for posting to the Jaspersoft Community. Our team of experts has read your question and we are working to get you an answer as quickly as we can. If you have a Jaspersoft Professional Subscription plan, please visit https://support.tibco.com/s/ for direct access to our technical support teams offering guaranteed response times.

Options suggested by @tepavac05 in his answers are valid options to improve memory performance. 

Your memory setting with -Xms32g and -Xmx56g seems high enough to handle large datasets in memory if you are pulling large amount of data into JasperReports Server memory. Either you are running very large reports towards the month ends or your garbage collection is not happening properly. I don't see any other reasons for memory to reach to 99% (assuming it's only happening due to JRS and no other process in conjunction doing this).

The only thing, apart from the options suggested by @tepavac05, would be to use different Garbage collector i.e. G1GC and see if that improves memory cleanup. We have seen this Garbage collector, compared to ConcMarkSweepGC.

JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -XX:+UseG1GC"

(This setting specific link is also what @tepavac05 shared in his answers) 
Assuming your current max available RAM 56GB.