JasperReports Library 7.0 is now available ×

By: David Sachdev - dsachdev

Drill Downs

2006-03-29 19:51

I know this is an old topic, and I have gone through the forums looking for the topic, but I am wondering if anyone has simulated drill downs in JasperReports sucessfully using a hyperlink on a report element to launch a second report using the parameter that was cliked on.

I am using hibernate and JSF with jasper.

By: Doug Berkland - berkland

RE: Drill Downs

2006-03-30 08:33

I created a report:// protocol that runs reports in our custom reporting framework. The protocol takes a report key that points to a configuration set that includes the jasper location. The query portion of the URL is used to pass parameters to the subreport. e.g. "report://CUSTOMER_LIST?state=AK" would load the jasper file defined in the CUSTOMER_LIST report configuration, and store "AK" in the parameter map with a key of "state". The datatype from the report field is examined to allow non-String datatypes to be parsed and passed. The protocol is registered using the "java.protocol.handler.pkgs" system property.

We use that protocol when creating drilldown reports. When we save the reports, we modify the URL in JRPrint object to point to the location the subreport was saved to. This lets the same viewer be used for live reports and saved reports.

By: Doug Berkland - berkland

2006-03-30 08:43

Our implementation is in a rich-client with a Swing-based report viewer application. For a JSF application the implementation would be slightly different. You would want to use http protocol, maybe point it to a servlet that maybe gets passed the report key and all of the selection criteria for the drilldown.

By: David Sachdev - dsachdev

2006-04-04 12:33

Thanks! Hopefully I will have a my working drill downs before too long. Finishing up the "destination" report now, and them implementing drill downs in a similar fashion.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic