We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Jasperserver multiple dimensions joined with one Fact table

m.tamburini

Hi,

I need to create a domain containing one fact table A that must be joined with several dimensions. Each dimesion is the copy of the same table B. My problem is to keep the labels and descriptions in the display section reusable from the very first copy of table B in order to use the same text in the following B1, B2,..., Bn copies. Is it possible?

I try to explain with an example..
Assume we have a fact table called FACT_GOODS and we need to join it with time information about arrivals and departures using the two columns: "TIME_ARRIVAL" and "TIME_DEPARTURE".  The dimension table is DIM_TIME with primary key "IDS_TIME". So we need to double-join the DIM_TIME table to the fact.
If I have well understood it, I need to make a copy of the dmension table DIM_TIME in the join section during the domain creation process. I will obtain DIM_TIME_ARRIVAL and DIM_TIME_DEPARTURE. I set the two join clauses as FACT_GOODS.TIME_ARRIVAL = DIM_TIME_ARRIVAL.IDS_TIME for the first table and FACT_GOODS.TIME_DEPARTURE = DIM_TIME_DEPARTURE.IDS_TIME for the second one.
Now the problem is in the diplay section: how can I make a reusable strategy in order to use the very same labels from DIM_TIME_ARRIVAL to DIM_TIME_DEPARTURE?
Is it possible?

Many thanks in advance!
Michele

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Michele,

You don't need to have different DIM_TIME tables.
The DIM_TIME dimension is only one. The fact table can have several foreign keys (TIME_DEPARTURE and TIME_ARRIVAL) to the same dimension (DIM_TIME).

When defining the cube in Mondrian you define a time dimension and then you can have several virtual dimensions (arrivals and departures) that will 'reuse' this dimension.

Let me know if it helps,

Kind regards,

Paulo