We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Charting a multi-level group report

mark.eveleigh

I have a report that lists the detail from a JDBC query, which is primarily reporting a number of counts of occurrences of data.  These counts are grouped at two levels, so that in the main part of the report, I have a top level group, then one or more second level groups, then the detail records, so that the report output looks something like:

Area 1

Assembly1

Part1     4

Part2     3

Part3     5

Assembly2

Part1     1

Part2     7

Area2

Assembly3

Part1     8

Partx     n …

This all works fine.  I also have a requirement to chart the counts.  These need to be in separate charts, one that is by ‘Assembly’, the other by ‘Area'.  The ‘Part’ element is the series expression in the chart so that I get a line for each part, with the Assembly being Category expression.  Again, this works fine and I get the graph I require.

Where I get the problem is creating a graph that provides a summary at ‘Area’ level.  That is, I require a graph that has the Category being the Area, then a sum of the Part items by Area.  So, for Area1 in the above, I’d have a series line (bar chart) with Part1 having 5, Part 2 having 10 and so on.

I’ve tried a number of different combinations of options, but this final chart does not provide the numbers required - I only get the counts for the final inner group.

Am I expecting too much of charts?

I would prefer not to repeat the query and perform a different summary in a sub-report as the actual query is quite complex and can cover a lot of data.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic