JasperReports Library 7.0 is now available ×

return data from a report after filling ?

2004 IR Help

By: msakbar - msakbar

return data from a report after filling ?

2005-04-25 13:16

Is it possible for the jasper filling engine to return some data from the report after it is filled? For example, the report would sum a column, print it on the report, but also return that sum back to the calling app.

I know that subreports can pass data back to the master report, but can the master report pass back data to the calling app?

I searched the documentation/forums but couldn't find any clues... if anybody has tips or pointers, they would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Salman

By: C-Box - c-box

RE: return data from a report after filling ?

2005-04-25 13:29

Well I would try to parse the JRPrint-Object for the element and try to get the value from the needed element. (of course you should give these elements a key that is not just "element-567" but better "sumfieldPrices" or anything like that.) if that is not possible you also can store the JasperPrint-Object to a JRPXML-Stream and parse that... there all elements are inside and should also be accessible from your calling app.

Or another try would be to use a Scriplet that passes your needed data to the calling app via one of the latest scriplet-methods (just guess: afterSummary or something like this)... from a scriplet you have also full access to all variables and can call other public methods to transfer report data from JasperReport fillProcess outside to your main app.

just my thoughts

perhaps you can use something

hth

C-Box

2005-04-26 06:45

Thanks C-Box - I used the scriptlet approach and it worked great.

A followup on scriptlets - so do scriptlet classes have to be static classes? as in the methods have to be static? because in the XML file you can only specify a class, not pass an instance of a scriptlet class. Am I correct in thinking this?

Thanks...

By: Keenan Brock - kbrock

2005-04-26 10:55

http://jasperreports.sourceforge.net/tips.tricks.html#returnvalues mentions using a map to return data from a sub report to a main report. It looks like this could potentially work the same for the main report and the calling application.

2005-04-27 13:13

yes, that approach worked too and is cleaner than using scriptlets.

By: C-Box - c-box

2005-04-28 00:16

I don't think that this is cleaner because you have to "abuse" some printwhenexpressions to put the values into the parametermap... so IMHO the scriptlet-method is "cleaner" -- but that is just my opinion.

C-Box

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic