We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

need to point to a different jre/jdk - any documentation on how to do this.

Portlight

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the JRE/JDK can be configured for JasperServer.

Basically, the *real* configuration is in the startup scripts for your Application Server (for instance Tomcat or JBoss, etc).

So, let's say that you use Tomcat.

Tomcat will look for the JAVA_HOME environment variable in order to find the Java that Tomcat will start up with. So, you can set (or change) the instance of Java pointed to using your environment variable setting.

I would suggest taking a look at the Install Guide because it also points out the names of the script files that are used to start tomcat and JBoss.

It would be Chapter 6 of the Install Guide. See section 6.2 "Setting JVM Options for Application Servers"

I have read this over and over - have made the changes I believe it is indicating and have done much research on the net
I still get an error.

Here is why this is so important to me.
job assignment
Research: how to configure JasperServer to use a different jre/jdk find out if its possible and how for both v3 and v4 of jasper server.
Every server we deploy (windows server) has glassfish on it, and every glassfish as the full jdk and jre bundled inside - d:javasdkjdk and d:javasdkjdkjre but neither are registered on the path or java_home variable.
if there is a configuration file inside jasperServer that allows us to specify the path to the jre, we need to know what else that file might contain - i.e. is it machine specific? if it has machine name or ip in it, than we might be able to use localhost globally, but if it has settings specific to the machine, it might not work to copy from one server to another.
Here is what I am finding and what I have tried:
1. tomcat is being installed part of jasperServer
2. it is therefore NOT installed as a service automatically
3. when our setup installs the service it installs under a different name then tomcat5
5. tomcatw will not execute because it looks to tomcat5
6. boss does not want to change name of service back to tomcat5
7.Her preferred solution: that we can create a file which will point to a different java_home as the one we install with glassFish is always the same - never updated/changed type of situation

WHAT if have tried
tried adding the
set JAVA_HOME = D:javasdkjdk
to the catalina.bat file (which I understand to be the startup file for tomcat5)
This makes not difference in the startup

I CAN NOT touch the system variables and I am not understanding if running the set java_home from command line at the time of install will have to be done every time the server is starting or if it will change any other applications using java_home

I am attaching the config files involved. I have placed this at the top of each- below the intro remarks.
rem set java_home variable
set JAVA_HOME = D:javasdk
set JRE_HOME = D:javasdkjdk

It makes not difference - the jvm still is not being set. I really need some guidance in this matter!
This is jasper ce 3.7.0

Post Edited by suki at 01/18/2012 23:08

• 4 weeks later...