Upgrade JS-3.0 - JS 4.2

doubledutch

I know... I should have done this a lot sooner but due to a server on the verge of dying - I need to create a new install of JS.

JS 4.2 was is installed and has its own database which works fine and I can get to it using iReport.

JS 3.0 still exists and has all my reports in it.

Is there a way of upgrading or "copy/paste" my report from JS 3.0 to the JS 4.2 database? We are talking about 25 different report units (with may sub reports) so copy / paste is not ideal but a price I'm willing to pay for not having done so sooner. There are also about 7 data sources but that doesn't worry me too much.

I tried to do it with iReport 3.0  and there is no drag / drop / copy logic in there that I can find. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks advance

Leon

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leon,

The standard mechanism for upgrading from one version to the other is outlined in the Installation Guide for the version that you are moving to.  In general, the upgrade involves using the import-export tool to export the repository (reports, users, etc) and then import it into the target version.  You run the export using the import-export tool shipped with the existing version and run the import with the one shipped with the target version.

Because you are jumping so many versions, this will be a little more complex as you will need to go through a few versions (or at least the import and export through a few versions) to get to 4.2 (4.2.1).  If you look at the v4.2 install guide, you will see that you must get to 3.7 before you can use the export to load into 4.2; Looking at the install guide for 3.7, you will see that you need to be on version 3.5; and finally, looking at the 3.5 install guide, you will see that you can go from 3.0 to 3.5.  So, your path will be to go from 3.0 to 3.5, 3.5 to 3.7, and finally 3.7 to 4.2.

I would keep your 3.0 instance intact until you have 4.2 fully functional or take the appropriate DB back-ups.

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

Matt

Thanks Matt.

Do I need to install the entire interim versions or can I just use DB update scripts to upgrade my database schema? Also - I had a quick look but couldn't easily find old JasperServer version downloads. Could you point me into the right direction?

Much appreciate your help and next time - I'll keep closer to the current version /tools/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/teeth_smile.gif

Thanks

Leon

I just realized that all of the docs are not posted for some of the old versions...To get the docs, I would recommend going to https://sourceforge.net/projects/jasperserver/files/JasperServer/ and there should be a zip file of the documentation under each of the versions.

Assuming that there are scripts for the repository database that you are using, you should be ok.  The default repository changed from MySQL to PostgreSQL in 4.0 or 4.1 (I don't remember exactly which), so you may find that you need to export out of 3.7 and import into 4.2 if you switch DBs with it.