We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Schedule password-protected report

mbritton

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out how to set a report so that when it's scheduled by Jasperserver to run overnight, it gets emailed as a password-protected .xls or .xlsx doc. Is there any kind of export parameter I can set that will assign a password to a document?

Thanks,

Matt

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, there is a report property you can add which allows you to set the password

net.sf.jasperreports.export.xls.password

Do a google search on it and should find all the information you require,  I recall seeing a post on here somewhere related to the same topic but I think it was quite old.

Thanks for your relply- from what I've read online, this property only allows you to protect a worksheet- i.e. make it read-only and require a password to make changes. I am looking to password protect the entire document so it can only be opened by those with a password- our reports contain sensitive client info like ssn, dob, etc.

Please let me know if I've misunderstood your suggestions.

Thanks,

Matt

You didn't misunderstand, I was under the impression that the password property also controlled password encryption which it clearly doesn't (after I actually tried it)  I did find a vague reference to possibly using the jExcelAPI to set the encryption password but didn't have much success in finding any specific references.  

Not sure how fixed you are on Excel output or whether you could switch to PDF output, I know there are properties which allow you to set the password separately for owner and user and use 128-bit encryption. 

Maybe somebody else has a clue, if not then maybe we should create a feature request for it.