We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

print textfield when a subreport has empty NodeSet

therockita

Hello,

I'm designing a report template made of one MASTER report and one SUBreport, both with xml as datasource.

The context is the following: 

I pass a JRXMLdatasource with initial path of /test/questions/question (the second parameter of the constructor)  to the MASTER report  .

I pass the same xml datasource to the subreport (through the built-in parameter $P{REPORT_DATA_SOURCE}), this time with a different path  /test/questions/question[@questionId=$P{questionId}]/selectedChoices

The xml datasource represents the answers that a student selects in a multiple choice test.

Obviously a student might not select any choice of one question. In this case the XPath test/questions/question[@questionId=$P{questionId}]/selectedChoices will return an empty node set and the subreport won't be "started". This behaviour is ok.

Now, this is my problem:

I need additionally to this to print the textField "User has not selected any choice". This must happen only when the subreport won't be generated because of the empty node set.

I have tryed many strategies, like using variables combined with the printWhenExpression, but it didn't succeed. 

How can I do!!?!???! I feel like if I'm missing the simple solution. Any help is welcomed.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I think you must use the "No data" band. To enable it search in the report properties and in the "When no data" select "No data section" instead of "blank page", then expand the "No Data" section and put on it the message you want to display when the XPath don't returns any information.

Hope this helps you.

Grettings from Argentina.

Hi Pablodc,

Thank you very much for your great advice (I always realize there's always something you don't know about JR). 

It worked perfectly! (for the people having the same problem, the no data section you have to activate is the one in the subreport).

Greetings from Italy  (from a peruvian guy...)! Chau!