HELP A MOTIVATED NEWBIE

giobby

Hi guys, i'm using i report for 1 week... and after reading a lot of discussions in this (and others) forum i can understand that is complicated make not basilar operations (i met several problems  just for reading values from a subreport) .

Questions:

1-Someone may help me to find examples to learn all about groups, expressions and the correct use of details/summary bands (and their differrences in relation with subreports)?

2- Only to confirm a matter:

when i put  a sub report in detail band  the result is:

------------------------------------------------------detail band---------------------------------------------------

1st record->main rpt

1st record-> sub rpt

2nd record->sub rpt

2nd record->main rpt

1st record-> sub rpt

2nd record->sub rpt

3rd record->main rpt

------------------------------------------------------end detail band---------------------------------------------------

is true?

And when i want to append the result of a sub report (whitout making an union of queries)  i must put the sub in the summary band to obtain:

------------------------------------------------------detail band---------------------------------------------------

1st record->main rpt

2nd record->main rpt

------------------------------------------------------end detail band---------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------summary band---------------------------------------------------

1st record-> sub rpt

2nd record->sub rpt

------------------------------------------------------end summary band---------------------------------------------------

isn't true?

THANKS

Giovanni

...La puissance est rien sans controle...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The detail band is called for every row that your main query retrieves. So if you get ten rows of data the detail line will be called ten times.

The summary band is called once at the end of report when all you data has been retrieved.

Here a page with a few Jasper examples

http://jasperforge.org/website/jasperreportswebsite/JR%20Website/jasperreports_samples.html?group_id=252&header=project&leftnav=yes&target=jasperreports