Bubble chart with Dates on domain axis

pawel_r

Hi

I was looking for a way to put Date on the domain axis of the Bubble chart. I found a suggestion that possibly a chart theme can be a solution here but I am a little lost with example in dist/sample directory -they all seem to only change how chart looks, not what kind of data can be parsed by it.

I was trying to do some kind of trick, like putting Date as category, unfortunatelly Bubble chart doesn't have such posibility. The best I got was to simply do $F{SOME_DATE}.getDate()*100+$F{SOME_DATE}.getMonth() but I would like to be able to put it in more readible form (with some separetor between day and month). Is that possible? I am looking for any clue which could potentially be leading to better solution

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems I found answer for my question - Jfree chart doesn't allow Date to be value for bubble chart axis

http://www.jfree.org/jfreechart/api/javadoc/org/jfree/chart/ChartFactory.html#createBubbleChart(java.lang.String,%20java.lang.String,%20java.lang.String,%20org.jfree.data.xy.XYZDataset,%20org.jfree.chart.plot.PlotOrientation,%20boolean,%20boolean,%20boolean)

Even though if someone has an idea how to make the Date values as much human readible as possible please share it :)

Use the date timestamp as X value for the chart, and a customizer that formats the values as dates (see below).

Regards,

Lucian

Code:
package jr;import java.text.DateFormat;import java.text.FieldPosition;import java.text.NumberFormat;import java.text.ParsePosition;import java.util.Date;import net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRAbstractChartCustomizer;import net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRChart;import org.jfree.chart.JFreeChart;import org.jfree.chart.axis.NumberAxis;public class BubbleDateCustomizer extends JRAbstractChartCustomizer{	public void customize(JFreeChart chart, JRChart jasperChart)	{		NumberAxis domainAxis = (NumberAxis) chart.getXYPlot().getDomainAxis();		final DateFormat dateFormat = DateFormat.getDateInstance();		domainAxis.setNumberFormatOverride(new NumberFormat()		{			public StringBuffer format(double number, StringBuffer toAppendTo,					FieldPosition pos)			{				return format((long) number, toAppendTo, pos);			}			public StringBuffer format(long number, StringBuffer toAppendTo,					FieldPosition pos)			{				return dateFormat.format(new Date(number), toAppendTo, pos);			}			public Number parse(String source, ParsePosition parsePosition)			{				throw new UnsupportedOperationException();			}		});	}}

• 6 years later...

hi lucianc,

i tried zour customiyer on my bubble chart. basically it works but i get output i dont understand.

the data i get from database looks like this:

For domain axis i use the long-value of the timestamp (xaxis).

in case i run the report i get only one (wrong) date displayed repatedly on domain-axis:

is the dataset causing the problem because values between the timestamps are missing ??

maybe you or anybody else can help me with this because i have no clue whats going wrong...

• 1 month later...