Descendants() problem after upgrade to 3.5 ?

Exie

Hi,

We had a small incident where we lost out JasperServer 3.0, so I installed a fresh 3.5 and have set about re-publishing all our reports/cubes etc.

So far its working fine, until I published a report, and its not working. It has an MDX query in it, and the problem seems to be with using Descendants() heres the ROW's clause:

NON EMPTY {Descendants([CustomerProduct].[All CustomerProducts], 2.0) } ON ROWS

If I take out decendants and just use [CustomerProduct].[All CustomerProducts].Children the query runs, but with Decendants, I get:

javax.servlet.jsp.el.ELException: An error occurred while getting property "result" from an instance of class com.tonbeller.jpivot.tags.OlapModelProxy
        at org.apache.commons.el.Logger.logError(Logger.java:484)
        at org.apache.commons.el.Logger.logError(Logger.java:588)
        at org.apache.commons.el.ArraySuffix.evaluate(ArraySuffix.java:318)
        at org.apache.commons.el.ComplexValue.evaluate(ComplexValue.java:145)
        at org.apache.commons.el.ExpressionEvaluatorImpl.evaluate(ExpressionEvaluatorImpl.java:263)
        at org.apache.commons.el.ExpressionEvaluatorImpl.evaluate(ExpressionEvaluatorImpl.java:190)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.proprietaryEvaluate(PageContextImpl.java:917)
        at org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.jsp.olap.viewOlap_jsp._jspx_meth_c_if_5(viewOlap_jsp.java:2556)
        at org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.jsp.olap.viewOlap_jsp._jspService(viewOlap_jsp.java:408)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:334)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:314)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:264)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
        at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:118)
        at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)

Has the syntax changed ? is the method obsolete ? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Descendants function works, for example:

SELECT
[Measures].AllMembers ON COLUMNS,
non empty {Descendants([store].[All Stores].[uSA].[CA], 1.0)} ON ROWS
FROM [sales]

The braces { } on the ROWS clause are not needed.

There is a bug in 3.5 where changes in the underlying schema were not being picked up. If you restart the server, and try it again, is there still a problem?

Sherman

Jaspersoft

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I removed the braces {} but it still crashes as before. Again, if I remove the Descendants() function, it runs correctly. Here's the full MDX if that helps:

Code:

Just an update.... that same MDX runs fine within iReport 3.0.0, just not on Jasper. Something must have changed between 3.0 and 3.5 to break it.

Post Edited by Exie at 07/15/2009 06:22

Just an update, a different view of the same problem looks like:

org.springframework.web.util.NestedServletException: Handler processing failed; nested exception is java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: mondrian.olap.fun.DescendantsFunDef.addAll(Ljava/util/List;[Ljava/lang/Object;)V org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:860) org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:755)

By my basic java skills... mondrian.olap.fun.DescendantsFunDef.addAll seems to be where the problem is ... NoSuchMethodError means something is different.

At any rate, our organisation is about to drop JS + JA, so it doesnt matter for us. But this may be a problem for other people out there.

Post Edited by Exie at 07/21/2009 01:23

• 3 weeks later...

Good tip.

We've since bailed out of the whole 3.5.x stream. It caused us no end of pain with compatibility problems and other bugs.

Without been dramatic, it's cost us a significant amount of money. I wouldnt reccomend anyone go near these versions to be honest. It's quite a worry in fact, as JS was such a good product and has so much promise. If they cant build it right and make it reliable and stable it could spell trouble for its future.

The timing is probably the most unfortunate thing for us as we were building our strategic IT plan going forward and JS/JA is now omitted. Its considered too etcentric for us, been too expensive and difficult to work with for very little benefit.

I hope others have more success than us!