We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Business Object Universe VS JasperServer Domain

malkorgan

Hi,

i'm new with JasperSoft, but i have used BO XI till now.

WIth BO Designer there was the possibility to set in the Universe some metrics, indicators, and/or math functions beetween  phisical fields : in this way , as a report user, i can drag and drop in my report a metric/indicator-field already present in a category of my universe.

With BO Designer i alse had the potential to use some DB functions, such as the oracle DECODE to convert some string values, or TRUNC, to reformat some Date types.

From what i've seen, with JasperSoft i have a lot of power as a report user but less design power, while the Domain include only category with fields mapped from the phisical DB(with some joins to set there) and not pre-setted metrics/indicator/function.

What i would like to know is if there is some way to design a Domain without altering the Source DB, but setting IN the Domain some metrics/indicators (instead of assuming that the reporting end-user will set them by himself).

Please let me know if there's some way to obtain this(and also if it's possible to use some DB function(Decode, Trunc) at domain design time).

Thanks for your answers

Malk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can have calculated fields and custom SQL defined in the domain. Currently the domain designer does not expose this - you have to do it in the domain XML. The next version of the domain designer in our March/April release exposes these features.

Sherman

Jaspersoft

Hi Sherman,

my actual problem is that my license has expired and i cannot even to access the supermart Domain and export it anymore.

No way to find the repository content in my filesystem without accessing the expired evaluation suite?

No way to extend the license? 

If not, can someone please post the supermart domain xml?

I have used it following the free manual but what i am disappointed with is the fact that, except from trying prepared examples with the manual, some things are absolutely not clear to me: for example it wasn't clear to me how to create a complete new report using some NEW input controls, defined by me from scratch, instead of taken as already available as for the proposed examples; and also how to customize some domain to insert some calculation in it (that is a common need in BI). I feel the examples are well designed, but you should also give some more guidelines to evaluate the product in a more complete way.

My problem, after evaluation time, is that i can't actually feel confidant with this product, and i have not enough elements whether to decide to buy a license in the future to build some client solutions or not.

You should find the description of the domain in the following folder under your jasper installation. scripts/js-catalog/resources/Domains/supermartDomain_files/supermartDomain_schema.data

Regards, Volker.

Post Edited by Volker Kozlowski at 02/24/09 11:27