We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

How do I use a variable in an ORDER BY clause?

chetan_33

I am using iReport 1.2.5, jasper set to 1.2.0,SQL Server

and have successfully used a parameter as part of the where clause

I wanted to conditionally include columns in order by clause (obviously the ones which are selected) but it fails with expressions.

So I tried to simply substitute by a parameter with default values provided by iReport but it gives exception as follows

java.sql.SQLException:ÂTheÂSELECTÂitemÂidentifiedÂbyÂtheÂORDERÂBYÂnumberÂ5ÂcontainsÂaÂvariableÂasÂpartÂofÂtheÂexpressionÂidentifyingÂaÂcolumnÂposition.ÂVariablesÂareÂonlyÂallowedÂwhenÂorderingÂbyÂanÂexpressionÂreferencingÂaÂcolumnÂname. ÂÂÂÂatÂnet.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.SQLDiagnostic.addDiagnostic(SQLDiagnostic.java:365) ÂÂÂÂatÂnet.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.tdsErrorToken(TdsCore.java:2781) ÂÂÂÂatÂnet.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.nextToken(TdsCore.java:2224) ÂÂÂÂatÂnet.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.getMoreResults(TdsCore.java:628)

I have following in my query

ORDER BY

Name1,VKORG,Name1, PHier2,

$P{PARAM_SORT_CLAUSE}

,JAHR, MONAT

parameter has value of "PHier3 , MATNR

There are 3 more parameter substitutions in whereby clause with which report worked fine till this new parameter is introduced.So cant understand what is 5 in exception.

Is there any restriction on parameterising in order by clause and other parts of sql?

I am trying to add capability to control sorting on a specific column and the sortorder as assc/desc

Appreciate inputs

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks that worked.

But its surprising that $P{} works in where clause or part before order by and so i never looked in such a detail in sample

What is the secret behind '!'. Are there any such usage specifics at other places as well

I will now go ahead by replacing it with variable defintion which is more manageable So will it also require $V{}?.