We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Is there a Cascading Input controls workaround?

kmansfield

I see posts on users asking about the cascading input controls and that it is currently not supported by jasperserver. I wonder if anyone has a good work-around and a sample code on how to do this?

Cascading input controls for example allow user to select a country in the first control and then a city select auto-populates in the second control based upon the user's country selection.

Here is a post with more information on the cascading enhancement. cascading input post

I'm also tempted to contribute a more formal solution to the project, but I doubt my boss will give me the time and thus need to do a work-around first. Are there any proposed architecture in case I have more time?

Thanks,

Keith

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We know we need to do this, but have not started work on it.

You could have a custom parameter JSP page that does the cascading logic.

In general, this would be an extension of the Query based input control, with a concept of columns being in levels 1-n. There are a couple of alternative displays of this.

1. Drop down boxes, 1 per level.

2. A multi-select version, so you could select cities from Bulgaria and Austria, say.

Validation could be controlled so that all levels have to be selected, or only the first N levels.

Apart from cascading controls, folks have been asking for cross control validation and the ability to order controls on the page/dialog box.

Sherman

Jaspersoft

Post edited by: swood, at: 2008/07/14 15:52

• 2 months later...

tammy_m
Wrote:

The link to more information on implementing cascading input controls seems to have disappeared.

http://www.jasperforge.org/index.php?option=com_joomlaboard&Itemid=&func=view&catid=10&id=32717#32717

Can anyone point me to this information?

thanks

The updated link is http://jasperforge.org/plugins/espforum/view.php?group_id=112&forumid=102&topicid=32709

No very helpful I'm afraid..

Regards,

Lucian

• 6 months later...

swood
Wrote:

We know we need to do this, but have not started work on it.

You could have a custom parameter JSP page that does the cascading logic.

In general, this would be an extension of the Query based input control, with a concept of columns being in levels 1-n. There are a couple of alternative displays of this.

1. Drop down boxes, 1 per level.
2. A multi-select version, so you could select cities from Bulgaria and Austria, say.

Validation could be controlled so that all levels have to be selected, or only the first N levels.

Apart from cascading controls, folks have been asking for cross control validation and the ability to order controls on the page/dialog box.

Sherman
Jaspersoft
Post edited by: swood, at: 2008/07/14 15:52

Hi Swood ,

I done the Cascading Logic on jsp/servlet but how do i use this jsp on JSCE .  and Suppose i could do that , then How could i get the HTTP Values to run the report . Every thing  in  Hoch Poch Could you plz give me your Valuable Suggestion on it.

Vishal 

Post Edited by Vishal Chawre at 04/04/09 06:11

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Set the custom parameter page on the report unit where you want to use the cascading logic to your new page. Have a look at WEB-INF/jsp/DefaultParametersForm.jsp to see how you can link up to the parameters of the report.

Sherman

Jaspersoft