We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Using a remove XML datasource

riesvantwisk

Hey All,

I am starting to feel pretty stupid right now!!!

I followed a outdated manual of iReport that only showed a local XML datasource. (http://ireport.sourceforge.net/cap7.html) What I am trying to do is for example take this XML : http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible/examples/06/6-1.xml

And make a simple report. When I add that datasource and try to ping it it it all ok.
But when I go to report query and select xpath2 then I get 'no file found'.

May be I am missing something here, I am not sure but should I beable to generate a report using remote XML?

Data sources based on SQL (we use PostgreSQL) works just fine, however when w finally deploy the report we don't have access to PostgreSQL and only XML or WSDL datasources will be available.

Ries

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't feel stupid, I could not get the query window's XML document browser to work with the remote datasource either. Perhaps this only works with a remote file?

To get the report to work I saved a local copy of the link you provided, created a local datasource against that and then created the query and registered the fields.

When it was time to run the report I filled it with the remote xml datasource (using your link).

This worked fine.

Hope this helps.

Attached is the report. [file name=remoteXML.jrxml size=4063]
Post edited by: lshannon, at: 2008/07/02 15:44

I highly recommend the book as well as the samples that ship with JasperReports. Without these tools iReport will have a very steep learning curve. Also continue to post of the forum, you will find a lot of helpful people here.

Good luck :)

thanks for the Help so far...

iReport by itself is not really hard, there are just some gotchas and 'nice to know' sort of items.

Actually I was trying to create my reports from a WSDL datasource, but this doesn't seems to be possible but will check the book if I am right or not.

I am downloading the book right now... 30 minutes till I can read it :)

I will post here since this is the more buzy forum then using the ireport forum.

Ries