Excel and word formats

ns69

I developed the reports -- PDF, Word and Excel formats for my web application using JasperReports. From the main jsp page when the user clicks one of these formats, it opens another window and displays the report in that window. But when I open the word and then excel format one after another without closing the reports window, for the excel format it makes a sound as if it want to download and the reports window in the background closes and nothing happens. I am using IE. Has anybody encountered the same issue?

JasperReports Gurus, any ideas how to fix this problem?

Thanks,

NS.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Teodor,

Thanks for the reply. I tested the reports using Mozilla FireFox browser and they work fine as expected. About the reports behavior on different machine configuration, I am seeing the same issue with only IE on all my colleagues machines too. And the strange thing is there is no issue when I open pdf and then word format. So my thoughts are JR on IE browser with the Microsoft Office application is causing this problem.

Regards,

NS.

Hi,

I think it is not about JasperReports, because all it does is to produce some character or binary content that you then stream to the browser yourself using a JSP or servlet.

I think it has more to do with all those response headers you are setting yourself when you deliver what JR produces.

Try put JR besides for a moment and send to the browser some Excel and Word files that you create using MS Office. Do you see the same behavior? If so, then try to solve it with these static files and get back to JR later.

I hope this helps.

Teodor

Yes, you were right, the issue of opening of the word and excel formats is not related to JR. I found a solution to the problem, just changed the open options for file types. My Computer --> Tools --> Folder Options --> File Types --> Advanced and make sure only one checkbox is checked i.e., "Browse in same window".

Thanks Teodor for all your help. On a side note any ideas for how to get rid of the boxes around the report elements in the word format?

Regards,

NS

teodord wrote:

Hi,

If you can attach such an RTF file to this post, maybe we can help.
Actually, creating a different message thread would be better.

Thank you,
Teodor

Actually there is a thread that I created sometime back, please goto http://www.jasperforge.org/index.php?option=com_joomlaboard&Itemid=&func=view&catid=8&id=36417#36417

. I will also upload the RTF file in that thread.

Thanks,

NS