Is that possible to generate report from Excel?

wtt

I have an Excel file. However, I don't think that Excel has enough report function and I am interested in using Jasperreporting to do that? Is that possible? Did anyone do that successfully? Can you give me some estimates about how long does it take to set up?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jasper doesn't let you get information from excel, but there are many other programs that do. I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but you can use like java XLS or apache poi to read the excel sheet and then convert that to xml with another program and then read it off w/ Jasper

good luck.

Thanks for your quick reply. I am a little disappointed. However, are there any software packages to enhance Excel features? I looked at those two you mentioned, it seems very hard to get it to work...

Could you be more specific? I mean, how about the Excel file you want to read? Is it a complex one, does it contain images, structured texts, complex paragraphs, or just some columns containing values? What is your final purpose - reproducing exactly the layout of Excel document, or just using its data?

Take a look at this post, maybe it's useful.

hth,

sanda

wtt wrote:

Thanks for your quick reply. I am a little disappointed. However, are there any software packages to enhance Excel features? I looked at those two you mentioned, it seems very hard to get it to work...

As I'm not sure what you are trying to do, the software I mentioned is very very simple to extract information out of cells and store into objects in java, they are probably useless doing anything else, thou I don't see what else you would like to do. As shertage said, elaborate on what you want.