We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

fetch value from a query with several rows

olehenrik

Hi,

I have problem, or havent found a solution how to fetch one value/field from a query which return several rows.

Example - The query is like this

item_code value

1 A

2 B

3 C

4 D

5 E

I would like to use all of this values in the same band in a sentence, how can I do that? Is there a expression that can be used?

Yes I can rewrite the query so it only return one row with all the values, but it's not a good solution --> runtime would go up.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

olehenrik wrote:

Hi,

I have problem, or havent found a solution how to fetch one value/field from a query which return several rows.

Example - The query is like this

item_code value
1 A
2 B
3 C
4 D
5 E

I would like to use all of this values in the same band in a sentence, how can I do that? Is there a expression that can be used?
Yes I can rewrite the query so it only return one row with all the values, but it's not a good solution --> runtime would go up.

Run the query in a subreport.

In the subreport concatenate the strings together to form a single string and return that as a return value from the subreport. You will need to use a variable to do this, using a variable calculation value like

($V{Variable} == null) ?

$P{FieldValue} :

$V{Variable} + $F{FieldValue}

I have attached a sample jrxml subreport that I use ina similar situation. Take a look at how the SerialNumber variable is being calculated.

Echo [file name=subPackingListSerial.jrxml size=10233]http://www.jasperforge.org/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/files/subPackingListSerial.jrxml[/file]

Post edited by: Echo, at: 2007/03/02 22:36