Changes to the Jaspersoft community edition download ×

Deployment tool for Reports?

uio100

Dear Forum,

I'm in search of a tool that allows for deployment of Jasper Server Reports (=jrxml, resources, input controls) to a Jasper Server installation. The idea is to have similar structured environments "production", "test/uat" and "dev" and a report developed on "dev" shall be unloaded and passed untouched to "test/uat" and then to "production". Such report would reference its resource by standardized names, such as "/datasources/MYSOURCE" where MYSOURCE points to different real database connections on each environment.

Toying with js-export and js-import was not satisfactory. Besides being a dangerous tool, js-export also exports the data source definition of a report. As long as the report does not exist on the target side,  js-import is safe when not in update mode. It would sense that "/datasources/MYSOURCE" already exists and just create the report. However, if you want to update the report through the same mechanism, one would have to specifiy --update as an argument to js-import and the datasource reference would get updated, too. Desastrous if applied to a production installation.

I can imagine that with web services, one could implement a tool that picks up a deployment unit (whatever that is and how this is implemented, basically containing the jrxml, the resources, references to data sources etc.) and installs it with the proper permission on a target jasper server. I wonder if such tool exists or if I have to create it from scratch.

kind regards

Michael

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

The tool JDeploy! on http://sourceforge.net/projects/jaspertools/?source=directory

allows to deal with reports deployment on diferents environments (development, pre production, production). It dont touch the datasources when deploying a report, so the systems department can define it. It also defines a estandarized way to package the reports and subreports of a project on a zip file. And includes other utils to list reports, create datasources,...

I hope to helped you.

bye.