We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

iReport is VERY SLOW when working on reports with many labels and text

xok

Hi all,

iReport is VERY SLOW when working on reports with many labels and text

I have an report with 2 pages with many labels and text.

- Consider about 50 labels and 50 textboxes on the first page.

- On the second page, half of the page is text in size 6 and 25 textboxes and 25 labels.

Speed Notes:

- At this moment, selecting an object in iReport takes about 2 secs..

- Making scroll takes about 1 secs. per move.

- Initially things were very fast, but due to the amount of objects it is getting slower and slower...

Exporting the report is almost as fast as selecting objects!! /tools/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/teeth_smile.gif

Is there any way to disable anti-alising and/or any option to speed up things?

The report will need to have more 2 pages of text and I cant imagine the slowliness of it..

I can provide the report file, but I have to change the contents because of confidentiality and it will take about 4 hours... /tools/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/regular_smile.gif

Rgds,

RS

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What version of iReport are you running and how much memory does your computer have? I sometimes have experienced a delay if I left iReport open for a few days at a time. I may also be your version of Java.

If iReport is running too slow you can assign it more java heap space memory in iReportRoot\etc\ireport(pro).conf. See the line that says something like this:

default_options="-J-Xms32m -J-Xmx256m -J-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -J-Dorg.netbeans.ProxyClassLoader.level=1000"

Try something like this instead:

default_options="-J-Xms256m -J-Xmx1024m -J-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -J-Dorg.netbeans.ProxyClassLoader.level=1000"

A restart of iReport is also worth a try.

Magnus

Hi pwd,

I am using an Virtual Machine with Windows XP for the development, but also tried in the host with exactly the same behaviour (Notebook ASUS UL30A, Win7 64 Bits, 4GB DDR3).

[EDIT to reduce post]

Attached you can find the specification of both machines with DXDIAG.

Post Edited by robccsilva at 03/09/2011 10:44

Hi Magnus,

I will try your settings and provide feedback as soon as possible.

One thing that I have noticed (or it seems like, ** so, not sure ** ), is that on every change that is made the .JRXML is reloaded and all objects redrawn.

- To speed up I think the following options would get some results:

* Disable anti-aliasing.

* Disable the reload / redraw of all objects on a object change.

Hi Magnus,

I have tested your settings and it does exactly the same.

- Selecting and text box takes about 3 secs.

- Scrolling the document takes about the same amount of time.

The memory toolbar shows ~50MB of 512MB available, when selecting / deselecting objects the memory toolbar, shows "random" results between {~45, ~75, ~115} of 512MB available.

Exploring the thread/process with "Process Explorer" over iReport, I can see that when I select an object it does a spike of read IO and a spike of CPU usage.

Anyone knows why iReport reads file(s) and/or why does some HD IO, when selecting an object?

Rgds,

Hi all,

I have tested the same report on Ubuntu 10.10 and is a bit faster than editing the report on Windows, altough it is slow!

In Ubuntu, selecting an object takes about 1sec. and Windows XP takes almost 3 secs..

As attachment you can find a small image (just to have an picture of what I am trying to do).

• 3 weeks later...

I am still pursuing this quest ;)

I have tried Eclipse with iReport integrated, regarding the following link:

http://jasperforge.org/website/ireportwebsite/JSS%20Website/download.html?header=project&target=jaspersoftstudio

Eclipse it a bit faster but it is very slow anyway and it bring a bug related to UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1 characters in the report.

It there any editor of .JRXML report files not based on Java?

Rgds,

• 1 year later...

I've been suffering the slowness of iReport for several months working with a huge report.

I've tried everything, even using JasperSoft Studio (which went a bit faster), but could never use the designer with a speed as when you're using Word.

Today I've discovered JasperWave (www.jasperwave.com) which goes really fast! So I recommend you to try JasperWave.

• 1 month later...