We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Why the table element keeps repeating on the report?

saman0suke

I'm just learning how to use the table element, since the way I create tables it's really hard (drawing lines on the field's corners) I think it's a good tool, but I don't know why, when the total of records finishes to be printed, it starts again on the report!! I've been trying to find some information about tables on the web but there's no accurate or detailed info, any help? or if you need a better way to put the data into a table I would appreciate it, thanks!!

UPDATE: The table it's on the DETAIL band, where I intend to use it, but looking on one thread I found, it says that it is intented to be used only on SUMMARY band, why I cannot use it on DETAIL band? I suppose that SUMMARY band is only for summarized data, final results, etc, but this is 1 of 4 tables I need to present with different info, thanks!

Post Edited by saman0suke at 01/14/2011 04:46

Post Edited by saman0suke at 01/14/2011 04:56

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I should state that I'm using V 3.7.1 Professional, so I don't actually have tables yet, but your problem would be the same if you were using a chart, a crosstab, etc.:  they're meant to summarize MULTIPLE rows of detail that come back from your query, not the information about a SINGLE returned row, which is typically what you work with in a detail band.  So if you're expecting to output FOUR tables, how is the information in these tables related?  Here are a few solutions, depending on the answer to that question:

1. The four tables will summarize the results of four independent queries (they're practically unrelated, in other words).  In that case, what you probably need is four SUBreports.  Your main report might not even have a query or a detail band.  You could just insert all four subreports into a summary section and have each subreport create a table in THEIR individual summary sections, based on the separate result sets their queries produce.

2. You're getting back data on four (or more) groups with a single query, and you'd like to show tables for each group instead of or in addition to a table with grand totals at the end.  If this is the case, then you want to make sure that your query returns the data in the correct ORDER, then create a GROUP in your report, based on this field (branch, state, etc.), and you can put your table in the GROUP FOOTER.  That way you end up with four (or whatever) tables that all look similar but are based on a subset of the full set of returned data rows.

3. All four tables are based on the total set of returned rows in a single query, but they are based on different variables/views.  This would also be the same as if you were going to output a table, a crosstab (redundant?), and a chart, for example.  In this case, you would just drag four table elements into the Summary band, but then set up their data specifications differently from one another.

Hope one of these scenarios covers your situation.  Good luck!

Carl