We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

displaying java.lang.time in pie chart

ak10

In my report I have a pie chart in which I want to display data according to a query result that has 2 fields: field_name, field_time. This pie chart should display the time for each name.

field_name is of type java.lang.String and field_time is of type java.sql.Time

In the pie chart I put ${field_name} as the key expression and ${field_time} as the value expression.

when i compile I get an error ( see below).

How can I create a pie chart t display this info?

Error filling print... Error evaluating expression :      Source text : $F{field_time}
net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRExpressionEvalException: Error evaluating expression :      Source text : $F{call_duration}      at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JREvaluator.evaluate(JREvaluator.java:195)      at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRCalculator.evaluate(JRCalculator.java:589)      at net.sf.jasperreports.charts.fill.JRFillPieSeries.evaluate(JRFillPieSeries.java:135)      at net.sf.jasperreports.charts.fill.JRFillPieDataset.customEvaluate(JRFillPieDataset.java:216)      at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillElementDataset.evaluate(JRFillElementDataset.java:164)      at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRCalculator.calculateVariables(JRCalculator.java:158)      at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRVerticalFiller.fillDetail(JRVerticalFiller.java:747)      at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRVerticalFiller.fillReportStart(JRVerticalFiller.java:270)      at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRVerticalFiller.fillReport(JRVerticalFiller.java:128)      at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRBaseFiller.fill(JRBaseFiller.java:946)      at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRBaseFiller.fill(JRBaseFiller.java:845)      at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFiller.fillReport(JRFiller.java:58)      at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JasperFillManager.fillReport(JasperFillManager.java:417)      at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JasperFillManager.fillReport(JasperFillManager.java:247)      at com.jaspersoft.ireport.designer.compiler.IReportCompiler.run(IReportCompiler.java:877)      at org.openide.util.RequestProcessor$Task.run(RequestProcessor.java:572)      at org.openide.util.RequestProcessor$Processor.run(RequestProcessor.java:997)  Caused by: org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.typehandling.GroovyCastException: Cannot cast object '05:41:03' with class 'java.sql.Time' to class 'java.lang.Number'      at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.typehandling.DefaultTypeTransformation.castToNumber(DefaultTypeTransformation.java:139)      at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.typehandling.DefaultTypeTransformation.castToType(DefaultTypeTransformation.java:234)      at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.ScriptBytecodeAdapter.castToType(ScriptBytecodeAdapter.java:602)      at Vigilance32Report32Template_1294329035048_573338.evaluate(calculator_Vigilance32Report32Template_1294329035048_573338:292)      at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JREvaluator.evaluate(JREvaluator.java:182)      ... 16 more

Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll leave the well-deserved disdain for pie charts to Stephen Few, but I have to admit that in this case I'm having problems even visualizing what information you're trying to convey.  Let's say your query returns the following three rows:

field_name                             field_time

Pearl Harbor Attack                    Dec 7, 1941 17:55:00 UTC

Apollo 11 Moon Landing                 Jul 20, 1969 20:17:00 UTC    

Current Time                           Jan 6, 2011 19:36:30 UTC

what exactly do you expect these three pieces of pie to look like?  How are those three TIMES (date/time stamps) going to be expressed as VALUES that can be compared to each other as parts of some whole?  If those three times were DURATIONS (hours:minutes:seconds, for example) then you could convert them all to a standard unit like seconds or days or whatever and get a pie chart.  But TIMES?  I can't picture it at all.

Carl   

The time I want to display is a DURATION, and it's type is java.lang.time.

for example for each name, I would like to display the duration of the call they made.

so the size of the slice in the pie chart would be according to the duration of the call the person made.

The field is now in format:  days hours:min:sec

How can I display this in a pie chart?

how do I convert the time? what is the best way to do this in order to get the most accurate result?

Well, it might depend on which flavor of SQL you're using, but I've been able to get date(), year(), time(), hour(), and minute() functions to work on a java.sql.Timestamp column.  I don't think I have any fields in my database that are java.lang.Time, althlough the time() function in SQL seems to be converting my java.sql.Timestamp into a java.sql.Time.  If you want the most accurate representation, I'd say convert each duration to seconds.  For example, if it were just hours and minutes:

select

field_time,

(3600*hour(field_time)+60*minute(field_time)+second(field_time)) as duration_in_seconds

end

Carl