We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

What's the matter with Object selection (mouse)?

victorg

Hi,

I finally decided to move forward to the newer version of iReport 3.4.7  3.7.4 (not very convinced because of the many usability defects in the new editor) after 2 years working on 3.0.0. I need some of the new JasperReports features.

One of the many things driving me crazy is the inaccuracy for Object selection with the mouse pointer.

The most clear example is when you have an object placed near a Band limit (upper or lower). 

It is not a rare thing to have, for example, a LINE Object placed near a band limit. Well, try to select then that line with the mouse. Is impossible!. Very annoying.

Could you please solve that....

regards

Victor

Post Edited by victorg at 08/06/2010 18:06

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the updates after 3.0 from version 3.5 and below to be very unstable.  I was getting corrupted jrxml, controls out of boundary with no warning, etc.  I pretty much wrote off 3.5 as unusable.

Seem like 3.7 and up are fairly stable now if you can go to those.

djsiders
Wrote:

I found the updates after 3.0 from version 3.5 and below to be very unstable.  I was getting corrupted jrxml, controls out of boundary with no warning, etc.  I pretty much wrote off 3.5 as unusable.

Seem like 3.7 and up are fairly stable now if you can go to those.

sorry I meant 3.7.4 the newest one, not 3.4.7.

before that, there were some other defects that prevented me moving forward.

the problem is present in current 3.7.4. version, among other debatable usability issues.

Post Edited by victorg at 08/05/2010 17:46

magnification? absolutely not

in that case there would be a user's vision problem, not a software problem, which is not the case.

magnify as much as you want. you wont be able to select that line object

Post Edited by victorg at 08/09/2010 22:49

victorg
Wrote:

Hi,

I finally decided to move forward to the newer version of iReport 3.4.7  3.7.4 (not very convinced because of the many usability defects in the new editor) after 2 years working on 3.0.0. I need some of the new JasperReports features.

One of the many things driving me crazy is the inaccuracy for Object selection with the mouse pointer.

The most clear example is when you have an object placed near a Band limit (upper or lower). 

It is not a rare thing to have, for example, a LINE Object placed near a band limit. Well, try to select then that line with the mouse. Is impossible!. Very annoying.

Could you please solve that....

regards

Victor

Post Edited by victorg at 08/06/2010 18:06

I think the simple way to accurately select the object is : you can select everything you like in the left window which is called [Report Inspector]. You can see all bands including Title,Page Header,Detail,Summary,ect. Click the '+' before it and you will see all the objects ,you can select it here.

Glad to hear I am not the only one having issues with iReport.  For the longest time I used JasperAssistant but I am without license atm and using iReport.  Your right... selecting ANYTHING is hard... trying to select 4-5 closely stacked fields is downright impossible most times.  Today I previewed my report and came back to find my title which was 100% width starting at x=0 randomly at x=-47 for some reason.  Wonder if mouse clicks are going through the preview pane?

The level of bugs and oddities with iReport is a bit disheartening.  I know it is a "free" tool and all... but given the awesome power of Jasper Reports you would assume there would be a heavy emphasis on having a good option for an IDE so not to detract from the value of the tool.  I'll still use it.. but at some point the frustration of having to deal with such difficulties donig a simple thing (such as trying to select/drag some objects) will become an issue.

lingkongpiaoyi
Wrote:

I think the simple way to accurately select the object is : you can select everything you like in the left window which is called [Report Inspector]. You can see all bands including Title,Page Header,Detail,Summary,ect. Click the '+' before it and you will see all the objects ,you can select it here.

that is not the simplest way, that is the only way, and sometimes is not the most agile, so we have a usability problem here.

that way, you need at least 4 clicks to access the properties of an element, whereas before a simple right click was enough.