We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

JasperServer Crashs/Hangs

systemsam

I have a JasperServer (ver 3.7) and it has crashed a couple times on me now. I'll warn you that  I'm not a java/tomcat expert by any means but I've gotten this far.

I got the following error in my log:

2010-06-23 00:39:11,378 ERROR [jasperserver],http-80-Processor42:253 - Servlet.service() for servlet jasperserver threw exception

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Since that time the server we completely un-responsive until I restarted it.

I've included the error prior to the heap message - it starts like this (and there are several of them) but its from an hour before the crash so I'm not thinking its the issue.

2010-06-22 23:22:47,035 ERROR JSErrorPage_jsp,http-80-Processor49:327 - com.jaspersoft.jasperserver.api.JSException: jsexception.jasperprint.not.found
        at com.jaspersoft.jasperserver.war.control.ReportImageController.handleRequest(ReportImageController.java:97)
        at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.SimpleControllerHandlerAdapter.handle(SimpleControllerHandlerAdapter.java:48)
        at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:875)
        at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:807)
        at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:571)
        at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doGet(FrameworkServlet.java:501)

Based on forum posts, etc I've adjusted my memory to setting in setenv.sh to these (I assume this is the right place for a bundled install???)

JAVA_HOME=/opt/jasperserver-ce-3.7.0/java
JRE_HOME=/opt/jasperserver-ce-3.7.0/java
JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Xms768m -Xmx768m -XX:PermSize=64m -XX:MaxPermSize=265m "
export JAVA_HOME
export JRE_HOME
export JAVA_OPTS

Which I thought might solve the problem. This is a x64 box with 4gb of Ram. I've read little bits about the garbage collection but haven't test any of those settings.

1) Is there any recommendation to extended logging that might help us understand the root cause of this issue?

2) Any words of advice on the memory setting (ie - just crank it up - which I'm completely okay doing - whart are accceptable maxes?) Its not a terribly high traffic server accept at shift change - could be 20 people running reports.

3) I'm getting ready to configure this in a redundant setup (using a load balancer in front of them with session persistance) but has anyone created a "cluster" of sorts they would be willing to expound on?

Thanks for your help!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue is Out Of Memory

1. You can increase the memory to high -> e.g. 1024m Or 2048m

2. The jasperpint obejct not found error occurs when it is looking for some running report object and it cannot find it bcaz server is already got java.heap space error

So, basic issue is :- low memory settings ..making it 2048m or even 1024 m will make your server work ok.

Ramnik Kaur

Senior QA Engineer

Thanks for the quick response..

Just to confirm - I should set the line in my setenv.sh file to this

JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Xms2048m -Xmx2048m -XX:PermSize=64m -XX:MaxPermSize=265m "

Just modifying the Xms and Xmx settings right - are the PermSize's okay?

- thanks - Sam