We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Ignore Pagination and Virtualizers

europe72

It appears as though when the ignore pagination property for a report is checked that virtualization does not work - meaning swapfiles are 0KB, regular virt files are not written at all, and gzip appears to do nothing. I can certainly see how this would be the case, but am looking for confirmation.

Thanks a lot.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I'd also be  interested if there are any good workarounds. The heap issues with Excel output are a huge problem for me. I use POI; can't use JExcel/JExcel's tmp file during write option (which is the only mem mgmt I have found for non-paginated output with an excel lib).

I'm considering an investment in aspose.cells. I just can't get memory under control in non-paginated, non-virtualized excel any other way.

I don't know, what's JExcel tmp file, but from my point of view it doesn't correspond to the problem at all. Heap is getting full while filling the report, not while exporting. So Jexcel does not start to play its role.

I'm now trying to implement postprocessing of generated paginated excel file to merge pages into one. Not sure wheather it's a good idea or not.

"but from my point of view it doesn't correspond to the problem at all. Heap is getting full while filling the report, not while exporting"

In the context of this thread you are absolutely correct, however the xls libs themselves have their own problems with memory. But perhaps it doesn't pay to muddy up this thread with those issues (as they are already addressed elsewhere).

Anyhow, a way to use a virtualizer on a report where ignore pagination bit is flipped to true will hopefully trickle into the codebase at some point in the future.