We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

more than 500.000 files in temp directory

muzzol

hi,

i've installed jasperserver bundled package and i see that temp directory $CATALINA_BASE/temp (java.io.tmpdir) if full of virt* files. there are more than 500.000.

is this normal? im worried because in unix environments large number of files in one directory can give performance problems.

are this files purged automatically? must i perform some kind of scheduled cleaning?

thanks.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at Tomcat instance that I have had running JasperServer for a longtime (it's a continuous integration instance that keeps getting the most current JasperServer deployed).

It has many, many *.tmp (and a couple other types) in the <tomcat>/temp directory. So, I am seeing the issue similar to what you are reporting. I did some googling around and I don't see any obvious way to manage the <tomcat>/temp directory. I would think that files in temp would be cleared on tomcat start/stop. But this is clearly not the case - since my server gets stopped everyday.

This looks to be a limitation with Tomcat. A cron job could be created to clear out old files from the temp dir at a scheduled time. I'll also take a look and see how JBoss and Glassfish handle the same issue.

ok, i just want to be sure that these files can be removed without afecting jasper.

its fine if tomcat dont do the job as long as i know it.

maybe little script to remove files older than 2 days can do the job.