We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Infinite loop due to page header overflow

page80

JasperReports 1.2.2

Oracle 9.2.7

Alrighty, I have a bit of a problem on my hands. I have a report that has seven subreports, each producing their own tables having a header, title, detail and footer band. When running this report on a smaller dataset, all is well. However, once in production and the report deals with tens of thousands of records, it gives me the "Infinite loop creating new page due to page header overflow" error. Why would this be an issue just because I have a larger dataset? I've had the pages overflow on a consistent basis before, but now that its much larger it seems to have a problem. Is there anything I can do to relieve this issue, or am I stuck having to pull each subreport out into its own separate report (which does work, but its very un-user friendly).

Thanks

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

This is a report template layout problem.

It occurs only with large datasets simply because in large documents there's a bigger chance for that subreport page header to overflow at some point, depending on how the various subreports chain up.

But it could occur with small datasets too.

Is just about anticipating it during the report design phase.

What the error message says is that you probably have a large page header in one of your templates or that page header stretches. And when it does, it overflows onto the next page and there, it has to print again (it is the page header right?). So it overflows again... and again and again and again...

There is nothing the egine can do. Just note that page header are not usually meant to strech and especially not designed to overflow.

You just have to reconsider your report layout.

I hope this helps.

Teodor

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I had this error today

net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRRuntimeException: Infinite loop creating new page due to page header overflow.
        at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRVerticalFiller.fillPageHeader(JRVerticalFiller.java:410)
        at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRVerticalFiller.fillReportStart(JRVerticalFiller.java:253)
        at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRVerticalFiller.fillReport(JRVerticalFiller.java:119)

My report has a Main report that contains just 1 subreport.

The issue I had was that I mistakenly uploaded the Main report jrxml file on top of the subreport's jrxml file (they are similarly named in my GIT repo).

So the recursion was that it was trying to run the main inside the main inside the main inside the main leading to the recursion error.

Re-uploaded the correct file into the subreport and then the recursion issue went away.

• 2 years later...

Dear Developers,

Just you need to write groovy on Print When Expression that "$V{PAGE_NUMBER}.equals(1)" on column header property.

this is happend when you drop subreport in detail section so the column header in jasper repeat twice. so you have to tell column header to not repeat again with subreport.

Kind Regards,

Muhammad Yasir Sohail