We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

How do I create a jfreechart xyblock chart via Jasper Studio?

Hi,

I'm trying to create a chart similar to the following: http://wwwisis2.isis.rl.ac.uk/DataAnalysis/jpowder/Images/XYZDataSet.png. The chart in question uses an XYZDataset, however the Jasper Reports API only refers to the Bubble chart. There is no mention of XYBlock or XYShape charts.

To date I have used chart customisers to tweak charts where required but I'm wondering if I need to use a different approach in this instance. I've attempted to create a cusomiser for a bubble chart but need to work out how to override the default rendering of bubbles. I'm not sure if this is best use of my time.

I have been reading documentation on rendering images using third party APIs and it looks like I should be able to create a chart of my choice using a scriptlet. Is a valid approach?

Cheers

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer to my question is create a report (that uses an image element) with an appropriate scriptlet class. Create a variable with class attribute set to net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRRenderable.

I used the afterReportInit() method where I set the variable using JCommonDrawableRenderer().

The chart uses a DateAxis that ranges between the first and last days of a month. I've tested the chart building code in a separate Java program and used the code in the scriptlet. The following statement "xAxis.setRange(end.getTime(), start.getTime());" works in my Java code but fails in the scriptlet with "net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Requires 'lower' < 'upper'.". The relevant scriptlet code is as follows:

public void afterReportInit() throws JRScriptletException {        int year = 2016;        int month = 1;        int day = 1;        Calendar[] dates = dateRange(year, month, day);        Calendar start = dates[0];        Calendar end = dates[1];               XYZDataset dataset = createDataset(start, end);               DateAxis xAxis = new DateAxis();        xAxis.setRange(start.getTime(), end.getTime());        xAxis.setLowerMargin(0.0);        NumberAxis yAxis = new NumberAxis();        yAxis.setUpperMargin(0.0);        yAxis.setStandardTickUnits(NumberAxis.createIntegerTickUnits());        XYBlockRenderer renderer = new XYBlockRenderer();        renderer.setBlockWidth(1000.0 * 60.0 * 60.0 * 24.0);        renderer.setBlockHeight(0.5f);        renderer.setBlockWidth(0.1f);        XYPlot plot = new XYPlot(dataset, xAxis, yAxis, renderer);        plot.setBackgroundPaint(Color.lightGray);        plot.setRangeGridlinePaint(Color.white);        plot.setAxisOffset(new RectangleInsets(5, 5, 5, 5));        JFreeChart chart = new JFreeChart(null, plot);        chart.removeLegend();        chart.setBackgroundPaint(Color.white);        ChartUtilities.applyCurrentTheme(chart);           this.setVariableValue("Chart", new JCommonDrawableRenderer(chart));    }     private static Calendar[] dateRange(int year, int month, int day) {        Calendar start = new GregorianCalendar(year, month, day);        start.set(Calendar.DAY_OF_MONTH, 1);        start.set(Calendar.HOUR_OF_DAY, 0);        start.set(Calendar.MINUTE, 0);        start.set(Calendar.SECOND, 0);        start.set(Calendar.MILLISECOND, 0);        int numberOfDays = start.getActualMaximum(Calendar.DAY_OF_MONTH);        Calendar end = (Calendar) start.clone();        end.set(Calendar.DAY_OF_MONTH, numberOfDays);        end.set(Calendar.HOUR_OF_DAY, 23);        end.set(Calendar.MINUTE, 59);        end.set(Calendar.SECOND, 59);        end.set(Calendar.MILLISECOND, 999);        return new Calendar[] { start, end };    }[/code]

What possible reason could there be for this inconsistency?

On a different note, my scriplet are not picked up when I re-preview in Jasper Studio unless I restart the IDE which now entails having to exit. Can anyone tell me what happened to the restart menu option? I am running 6.2.0.final under Ubuntu 14.04.